Letter from Hugh!

• 24 Replies

Selkie

Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 14:52 »
I would say unless they have signs up saying that you can't take photos you would probably get away with it

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 15:57 »
hi

I got my letter from hugh

I was in morrisons today and wanted to buy a free range chicken but they didnt have any on the shelves, they were stacked with wye valley which is the rspca approved barn chicken and the commercially produced chickens, I asked on e of the managers if they had any and he said they had sold out and that they cant get hold of any more!!! I said well its good people want them you will have to order more he said well no because we have a surplus of the other birds and its the price of free range to which I said well if you order more and the public want them the price will eventually come down, he didnt say anything to that.  I think it was a load of bs he told me, I suspect they wont order free range because of the cost, with attitudes like that no wonder its an uphill struggle, although tesco uttoxeter had a good supply of free range birds
pauline

Butterfly

Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 19:27 »
If you use a camera on a phone they probably wont notice you do it. :wink:

violet

• Experienced Member
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44 »
Yes I had the letter...the large Tesco near us has a lot of "good" chicken products so it would be a very positive pictures if I took one...not only whole chicken but seperate legs, thighs and breasts...all free range!  Shall I risk it? Wonder what they would reply if I asked first...pointing out the positive immage?

Trillium

Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 05:12 »
I would highly NOT recommend anyone taking pix in a store without the store's consent. They can, and probably will, prosecute for trespass, invasion of privacy, and a lot of other legal mumbo jumbo. The large chain stores have permanent legal departments you could not possibly compete against so don't even try. If you do sneak a pic and send it in, the recipient could be forced to reveal who sent it and still put you up the creek without a paddle.

If HFW is so keen to get these pix, why doesn't he hire a staff to do it rather than have citizens get in trouble? Better still, why doesn't Mr Moneybags do it himself if he's so hot on the chicken trail?

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 17:38 »
hear hear trillium!

I know that the conditions birds are kept in is awful and we are lucky to be able to get/afford free range produce. However, supermarkets only sell what there is a demand for - they dont need to have and morals in it if consumers are still buying cheaper alternatives.

Im still very undecided on the whole free range thing - if i was super bothered by it then i would either be a vegetarian or raise free range chickens for the table myself - that is the only way to truly know where your food has come from and what it contains.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 12:33 »
Just as an update, I didn't go stalking the isles of chicken this weekend.
When I first posted this topic I also emailed HFW and asked the same question; is it legal? could my camera be confiscated? etc etc.

Still haven't got a reply so although I like HFW I thought 'if river cottage can't be bothered to email me back, I aint gonna risk my camera for them' :evil:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 13:31 »
I asked on their forum as well and got no answer as of last time I checked it

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 14:02 »
Quote from: "slowef"
I asked on their forum as well and got no answer as of last time I checked it

Pretty poor isn't it, how do they expect people to be enthusiastic to their cause? :x

Trillium

Letter from Hugh!
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 16:21 »
It's all great to be enthusiastic about a cause, especially the plight of the poor battery chickens, but you also need to know your facts, which obviously HFW didn't when he put out that request for pix. Citizens may well send him pix in all sincerity, but what guarantee have they that the pix won't be turned against the stores in some form of public ridicule, or that the stores would interpret it this way as well? That's where the danger lies. You don't pinch the bull's nose and expect him not to react.

xx
Begging Letter

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 10:35
by millymolymandy
xx
Letter from the council

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

52 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 21:31
by wildwitchy
xx
Hugh's Chicken Run

Started by Viv on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 18:37
by cluckingmad
xx
Hugh F-W Urgent Money Request !!!

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 21:03
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.