seed potatoes advise

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

seed potatoes advise
« on: April 30, 2018, 19:44 »
I am having to put a hold on planting my seed potatoes because the ground is unfortunately not fit to plant at this present time when  started cultivating the ground the middle of last week  it was drying out lovely then came the rain again >:(

what concerns me is that the seed potatoes are getting green shoots admittedly they are strong shoots but some spuds are getting soft tubers the long range weather forecast is predicting better dryer weather next week so fingers crossed if the weather keeps fine it would only take a day and a half to plant the  35KG

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: seed potatoes advise
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55 »
As long as they are only soft because they are dehydrating rather than because they are rotting they'll be fine (easy to tell the difference - hard to think of a worse pong than from rotting spuds!)

I once kept a few 'spare' seed potatoes chitting from late January to August on my north-facing bedroom windowsill. Admittedly I didn't actually plant them out, but they were still very much alive and I would have expected them to grow well if I had done.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

Re: seed potatoes advise
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:21 »
Many thanks for that advise JayG

xx
Setting up a seed bed....advise needed!

Started by LottieLady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 22:21
by Yorkie
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
3KG seed potatoes £2.95

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 15:33
by DD.
xx
Do I cut seed potatoes?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 17:02
by Trillium

Page created in 1.152 seconds with 29 queries.