patio fruit trees

• 2 Replies

pvc

patio fruit trees
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:38 »
one of the of the maim diy stores have patio trees on sale for £10 I was looking at buying a cherry tree to plant in a large pot but when  I looked at the label the dimensions of the tree was 3m x 2m which confused me they had stella and a german variety , has anyone had any experience with these trees any help or advice would hugely appreciated

Ivor Backache

Re: patio fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 13:11 »
I have a Stella but it is in the ground and after 4 years it is a big tree. The size of the tree depends on the root stock and 3x2m looks compact. Need to keep it pruned because fruit grows on old growth, so it should not get out of hand. (like mine has) Also you don't need a pollinator. Need very little maintainance.
You will need a netting system because the birds will have them.
There are 'large' pots but think of the plant in 4 years time. You may need to grow it in a water butt.
£10 for a fruit tree is a good price and this is something you will have to do to find out.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: patio fruit trees
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 14:27 »
I too have a stella cherry tree that I bought cheap from a garden centre, 4 or 5 years ago. It stayed in a large Ø600mm plastic tub for the first few years. It flowered a bit but stayed fairly dormant and certainly didn't fruit. I was just keeping it alive really, until I could move house.
Last year that happened and it is now in the ground and is thriving.

As said above, it does depend on the root stock for how big the tree will be, but if the label says that then I'd have said it needs planting in the ground.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 16:15 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 18:57
by rainbow1
xx
Patio Fruit Trees

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 23:53
by gobs
xx
Patio Fruit Trees - Any Good?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 19:36
by Teen76
xx
Anyone grown patio fruit trees?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:55
by tosca100

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 36 queries.