beans
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:10 »
must be time for runner an dwarf beans to mgo in now   what you think

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: beans
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39 »
It's still only March - much too early IMO

Sow seeds in greenhouse late April and plant early/mid May (after your last frosts) in a normal year, this year we have a cold Spring, so think sowings will all be a week or 2 later.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 13:42 »
No way!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lettice

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 15:32 »
Way to early to even think about sowing runner, dwarf/climbing/french beans.

Wait till second week of April at minimum to sow in greenhouse or under cover for dwarf/climbing/french beans to plant out in early May or sow direct in the ground early May.
For runners, sow in greenhouse or under cover end April to plant out around 20th May
Sow in ground around mid May too.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 19:59 »
Even here in tropical Blackpool we wait till end of April, I aim to get them in the ground 3rd week of May.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 23:05 »
Agree with everyone else here. Wouldn't dream of sowing them under cover until mid-April and then they would only go outside after the last frost. Besides, beans are such rapid growers, they hardly need the head start.
As an aside I did read once that Runner beans are technically bi-annuals, so if you can pot up the roots and keep them warm over winter, they'll crop a little earlier the next year. Can't find where I saw that though and it's obviously not really worth bothering with as it's such an easy crop to grow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:10 »
They are perennials in warmer countries, and I have had some regrow after a mild winter, but never bothered to let them carry on growing to see if the crop would be as good as from new plants  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:31 »
Many years ago I grew my runner beans up a wigwam, and being a bit short of dalek space at the time I just dumped all my garden waste on top of where they'd been growing that summer.

When I got round to shifting it the following spring I was surprised to find lots of new bean shoots, mostly at least 2 or 3 from each original plant. Only reasons I didn't continue with the experiment was that I'd planned to grow them in rows that year, and also with my light soil I wanted to get plenty of organic material underneath the next crop.

Having once been very nearly caught out by a late frost in early June, I never plan to plant mine outside until then, which means sowing indoors in early May, although I do sow some directly as well to extend the cropping season.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 40 queries.