new fruit trees

• 3 Replies

jambop

new fruit trees
« on: March 04, 2018, 10:04 »
So I visited my local super U supermarket and there were fruit trees for the new season. I don't know whether they are bare rooted or not. They come in soil wrapped in black plastic in a hessian sack. I suspect they are bare rooted and wrapped with soil in the shape of a pot but are not pot grown. Now the weather has been very wet and then very cold so the ground is not in the best of condition being very wet. I am wondering how to keep them in good condition until I can plant them out. What is also a bit of a worry is that they will start to break bud soon. Should they just be watered in the plastic wrapping until the time is right to plant them? They are nice trees for the price €14 look like they would be two years old have a Victoria plum, Conference pear and a Redhaven peach.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Re: new fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 22:11 »
Hello. In the absence of more knowledgeable replies, my experience has been that it's best to get them into the ground sooner, rather than later. Major frost/cold would be about the only thing that would make me pause. Have been planting/transplanting cobnuts, jostaberries and apples into soil which is too muddy to work,  but strangely feels better than it was during the freezing temperatures of last week when it was dry!

arh

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37 »
My advice Jambob, (for what it's worth :unsure:), would be to get them in asap, and cover the base of them with straw or similar, so that the frost cannot reach the root area.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 08:54 »
Thanks for the replies . I have just managed to plant the pear and the peach both of which I got done with good soil preparation enriching the soil with a bit of well rotted manure. They were bare rooted, as I thought, although they form a sort of plug by forming a cylindrical compost plug wrapped wit black plastic. The pear had some new roots growing but actually not much of a root system the peach had a good root system and I just planted that as you would a pot grown plant. We had a huge amount of rain over night the ground was absolutely sodden in the morning ...so they were well watered in... again  :lol: I have still to plant the plum but I am thinking about putting that into a large pot on a temporary basis just to let the roots start to get going and then plant it out in the autumn.

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.703 seconds with 32 queries.