Poaching an Egg??

• 13 Replies

Foxy

Poaching an Egg??
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:49 »
Saw this in off topic, thought it was very funny!!! :lol:
Anyone have tips on how to make an omlette? I have real problems they come out like scrambled eggs
 :shock:
http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

gobs

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:56 »
Very hot oil, well beaten eggs and don't stir. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mashauk

Re: Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:06 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Saw this in off topic, thought it was very funny!!! :lol:
Anyone have tips on how to make an omlette? I have real problems they come out like scrambled eggs
 :shock:
http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/

I've got a 3 egg poacher, put a bit of water in the pan, and a bit of butter in the individual poachers, break the egg, leave for about 4 minutes, done, easy peezy!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 13:01 »
lol  :lol:

that links pretty hilarious  !

did my duck egg the other day, came out perfect and i aint done one in erm, oooh, cant recall how many years - just put about an inch n half of water in a frying pan, ok i lie a wok lol  :D   dribble of white wine vinegar, brought it to the boil, simmered, then cracked the egg in and bingo - house - jobs a good 'un  . . . . .  4 mins later a perfect tasyy duck egg - maybe thats the secret, duck egg n not a hens ???

didn't stir or vortex/ cling film rammekin or anything else lol

Ice

• muck spreader
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 13:25 »
Sorry Gobs, it should always be butter for an omelette.

Get you pan really hot.  Beat your eggs in a bowl and season well.  Place a knob of butter in the pan and make sure it gets coated all over.  Before the butter turns brown add your eggs.  As the eggs begin to set use your spatula to draw the set egg towards the middle of the pan allowing the unset eggs to run into the space.  This creates soft folds in the omelette.  Just before it has completely set take it off the heat and add a filling if you want one, it will continue to cook off the heat.  Fold in half and roll onto your plate.   You could also add herbs to the beaten eggs.

Well worth the effort I believe. 8)
Cheese makes everything better.

gobs

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 13:47 »
Oh, I do beg your pardon, Ice. :roll:  :lol:

And Munty said I could have ice. :?  :shock:

Foxy

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 14:40 »
Thanks Icehockeymaid :D  -looking forward to a lovely cheese omlette tonight. Our hens are laying like mad and our gorgeous faverolles pullets are dropping eggs all over the place -bless them, still young I guess.
Oh, thats an omlette with lovely extra mature full fat creamy yummy cheese! (Bodger! :lol:  :lol: ) oops! Icehockeymad!!

Ice

• muck spreader
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 18:48 »
Enjoy, Foxy and do call me Ice, so much easier.

Still friends Gobs? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

gobs

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 19:48 »
Of course, not. How do you dare to have a different opinion? :twisted:  :evil:  :evil:

Yes, probably tastes nicer with butter, but then I just put down, what I do. I never cooked with butter for a few years, even any veg oil, or fat much, just olive. I remember from the transition time it makes a huge difference in flavour, but you get used to it. Same as cutting anything out of your diet, really. :)

Foxy

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 20:33 »
Just had a lovely 4 egg cheese omlette - my OH made it for me. He did the jiggy spatula thing, but didn't use any butter or oil.mummmmm yummy! :lol:  :lol: I asked if I could have a go  but he didn't want me touching his pan!!! :shock:

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 20:34 »
Ice hockey is great - love watching the uni teams and yelling abuse!!

We had difficulties finding good poaching/boiling times for our little bantam eggs - we are down to 'as long as it takes to toast the second side of a piece of toast under the hot grill' we have also found it better not to whirl the water with bantam eggs as there is proportionally less white in them as the yolk is still the same size as a regular egg and it gets whirled off into strings if you do. Its an exact science in our house as you can tell!

Ice

• muck spreader
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "mdueal"
Ice hockey is great - love watching the uni teams and yelling abuse!!

Yeah, yelling abuse is all part of the fun and It isn't a proper game until they start fighting. 8)  :lol:

Fat Hen

Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 16:51 »
I like mine started like Ice's, then finnished under a hot grill rather than folded, they then really puff up and are light n fluffy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Poaching an Egg??
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 16:54 »
I always put my omelettes under the grill for a bit too as Brian doesn't like them too watery!!!!

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 37 queries.