Newbie, Run size question

• 15 Replies

thomo2000

« on: January 29, 2008, 22:30 »
Hi all,  what a nice bunch you all are  :D . I am aiming to get 3 chooks in spring.  I have the house and are getting all the bits as I come across them.  One thing I am not clear on yet is the size of run.  I will not be able to let them roam about the garden, so want to make sure the run is big enough.  The part of the garden earmarked for the house and run is about 2.5m by 4m. Will this be OK.  I do not want it to turn into a mud bath in the winter, so any advise on what I can put down on the ground.  I have seen a few pictures with what looks like bark or wood chips.  Also, any comments on breeds.  I have a 5 year old who cannot wait for them to arrive, so are some better with children than others.
Cheep cheep everyone.
Chris.

WG.

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 22:40 »
Welcome Chris.  A chooky type will be along in a mo.

Dp step over to the Welcome forum and introduce yourself to the happy throng. :D

Sally A

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 22:40 »
Hi thommo, I'm not a chook keeper, but welcome anyway :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Newbie, Run size question
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 22:42 »
Quote from: "thomo2000"
Hi all,  what a nice bunch you all are  :D

Now if that's not going to get us on side I don't know what will!   :lol:

welcome to the site thomo - I have got chooks but I'm going to defer to others who have more experience than I have!

Good luck with them!

Selkie

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 22:45 »
Hi Chris and welcome from me too.

Good luck with your hens; personally I think a run can't be too big but it can easily be too small.

thomo2000

Hello, what a realy nice bunch you are.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 22:51 »
Hi All,  thanks for everything so far.  Where is the welcome forum.  I cannot see anything like this.  I know what you mean about a run never being to big.  I have to be practical,  I was thinking of two bantams, but an old game keeper contact  said you should have at least 3, then there is always one to keep an eye on the other two  :lol: Still,  what are your thoughts on this.  

Cheep Cheep

WG.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 22:52 »
Click on  Allotment and Vegetable Gardening Forum Index  at top or bottom of any page :wink:

Selkie

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 23:04 »
Three is definately a good number, incase one dies at some stage you won't be left with one unhappy hen.(I know that's an awful thought before you even have your hens :roll: )

We have two, and I am hoping to get a couple more this year :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 23:20 »
Yes, three is a nice number (2 is a pair, 3 is a flock).

If they can't wander the garden I'd say that the run size you have in mind for them will be fine.  I would recommend putting a roof of some type (I use novolux) to keeps some of it dry in the winter and give them some shelter from the rain.  I use large bark chunks in my hens run.

Jellyhead

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:06 »
Hello, Once you start with your hens you will be totally addicted in no time :lol: then before you know it you will become barking mad like this lot :lol: Me, I have many a blond moment thats all and my ducks think they are chickens (will post pics later) and my friends call me jellyhead :shock: other than that  8) I am not mad at all :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18 »
Hi Thomo! Welcome to the site! :lol:  :lol:
It is a lovely forum and the threads can end up.....well you'll soon find out :lol:  :lol: I have a large run I use in the winter and have a deep layer of a combination of soft wood and hard wood chips. It starts out about  3 -4" deep then does tend to compact down. I avoid bark as it can harbour fungi and spores I am not  sure what anyone thinks though. In the spring I will then use it as a deep mulch for my new apple trees and hedging. Topping up and changing regulary prevents the ground from becoming sour and smelly. Aunt Sally has a wonderful set up for her two chooks she may be kind enough to post a piccy to give you some idea! :wink:
With regard to breeds with young children -  bantam soft feather varieties as these tend to be more placid, pekins are smashing,wyandottes,silkies are great,marans (someone has mentioned) welsummers bantys are lovely!. I have found  also that chickens handled from a young age are much easier to tame. A good book to help you choose is "choosing and keeping chickens" by Chris Graham( Loads of lovely photos in it )Good luck and keep us posted with piccys when you get your girls!

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20 »
Aunt Sally can we change Frenchconnection to "jellyhead?"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Would be rather funny...

bean

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 12:46 »
Hi Thomo,

I am new to chicken keeping too - we got our 4 in September. We have four different breeds and that has worked well for us. One is a Barbu D'Uccle which is small and very easily handled by our 6 year old and his friends, but has lots of 'personality'! Don't know if this is common to all silkies, but although our Martha is very sweet she also flaps a lot when picked up which can be very off-putting to some children.

Good luck - I am sure you will enjoy it.

Jellyhead

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 17:58 »
Thats quite a good idea actually Foxy. The cap certainly fits I can tell you :wink:

thomo2000

Thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 19:44 »
Wow, what feedback.  I have the book already mentioned.  Can anyone suggest good chook suppliers.  Assuming I go for some bantams.

xx
Newbie with a question

Started by adw on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 10:12
by happychickens
xx
Yet another newbie question

Started by GillC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 16:49
by poultrygeist
xx
newbie question

Started by colinjmx5 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 17:02
by joyfull
xx
Newbie Question

Started by Derek.laurence on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 09:49
by Derek.laurence

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.