parsnips

• 34 Replies

muntjac

parsnips
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 11:17 »
i must been at the back then cos my snips are only littluns  :oops: and im thick n ugly lolo
still alive /............

wellingtons

Awww ...
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 11:40 »
... you say the nicest things John.

I wasn't in the front of queue when the pea growing skills were being handed out though.  I've failed miserably for the last two years!  Can't have it all I suppose.

muntjac

parsnips
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 12:30 »
my tip for planting peas is so simple i think , i dig a trench 6 to 10 inches deep and put some manure in with a good mix of just straw.i then pile the soil on top . i drag a hoe down the soil in 3 lines  from end to end .then i put my seed in straight from the packet in about 1inch to 1- 1/2 inch deep  i pile the soil back over  covering them with a cloche and then forget them completly for about 3 weeks ,by which time they will have come up about 2 inches high . i then push the soil back up around the seedlings  and protect them once again with the cloche .to water i just spray before putting the cloche back in place . and then water the ground around it . nearly flooding it so it gets down into the trench where i put the straw etc .this holds the moisture very well . when they are 6 inches high i remove the cloche  and just lay my willow wand with all the litle sticky bits on over the peas .and leave to get on with it .if it hot i water in the mornings flooding  the trench almost and then wait for my grand daughter

to come along and rob me of them all

wellingtons

What time of year do you plant ...
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 12:53 »
... and any particular variety??

muntjac

parsnips
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 13:03 »
depends on what you want to plant wellies i do the same for all .but i grow kelvedon wonder 2nd early, onward first early, " meteor ".i also like " hurst beagle" if you can get hold of it "miracle " is a favourite though its  a mssive growing triffid  sometimes getting 3 and a half feet in hieght well looked after on my plots..for a funny one try getting recette ,its got 3 pods at each twig joint .i like em as mangy tout as my grand daughter calls em oh ans asparagus ( sparrowgrass ) ones ,if you want to try an oldy we grew up norf try asking for  "carlin ". i mice and birds for some reason dont want to know when its growing , it like a good limed soil . oh and i fergot to mention , try growing 2 different earlies together and the same for seconds in the same bed. not all peas taste the same

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips, yet again

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 24, 2017, 13:28
by victoria park
xx
Parsnips are up......

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 12:41
by survyman
xx
parsnips

Started by blommers2 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 15:22
by DD.

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 36 queries.