anybody out there growing custard marrows?

• 6 Replies

jambop

anybody out there growing custard marrows?
« on: September 21, 2017, 17:54 »

I have been given a few fruits of this plant to try. She eats then in omelettes and as a potato sub but has anybody on her grown them and if the have what are they like to eat ... are they worth growing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: anybody out there growing custard marrows?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 19:16 »
They are just yellow pattypan squash aren't they? Taste just a little sweeter than a courgette, and picked little enough are a bit firmer in texture.

If you like courgettes you'll like pattypans  :) I grew pattypans a couple of years ago, but found the shape less user-friendly than courgettes, so didn't grow them again.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 20:47 »
I've grown them again this year, white ones as opposed to the yellow patty pan, I just use them like courgettes, I love the shape of them but agree they are a little less user friendly as mum says
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 21:21 »
I think there is some mistake in what I am calling these things. The are green pear shaped fruits which are also known as chayote's

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 22:26 »
Having googled it it is also called christopheans, I didn't think they would grow here, popular in the Caribbean

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 21:13 »
Hello Jambop. I got given a couple of Chayottes this year at a seed/plant exchange. The person who gave them to me raved about how tasty they were in sauces, with pasta etc. etc. (Looking back, her husband did roll his eyes and say that he thought they were a bit 'bland')

I think I even posted about them on here as I didn't know anything about them.

I planted them. One promptly shrivelled and died. The other is clambering over my pear tree, looking healthy and leafy but with no inclination to flower or fruit. I'm not sure whether it's worth digging it up and having another try next year.  :)

jambop

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:58 »
Well I have now cooked some of these fruits up and ... they are not bad to be honest :) They definitely need to be cooked with something else to give them more flavour. For example I cooked them with tomato, peppers, onion, garlic and chilli to accompany baked sea bass and they were delicious. I also made some into a curry again they were very nice but there are hundreds of recipes online. Deborah they need a warm summer to produce but they are perennial if in a sheltered spot so maybe next year. My neighbour planted hers out this spring and they have given her loads of fruits ... very vigorous vine.  I don't think I would grow it myself ... but will happily take some from her :)

xx
custard courgettes

Started by g1ggles on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2006, 22:41
by Jeanieblue
xx
marrows

Started by hushda24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 07:09
by Christine
xx
Marrows

Started by Johnny Norfolk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 23:22
by Noah'strolly
xx
marrows

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 16:21
by DD.

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 38 queries.