feeding brassicas

• 4 Replies

jambop

feeding brassicas
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:37 »
So I thinned out my brassicas into 7.5cm pots to grow them on prior to transplanting later in September/October. They have grown on well but the compost I used, while nice stuff, is cheap and I suspect it will have little by was of feed in it. I will not be putting them in until the ground gets a bit more by way of moisture so they are likely to be in the pots for at least another four weeks or more. I was wondering if a weak liquid feed would be in order? They have been in the pots just about three weeks now and are well on to producing new leaves.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: feeding brassicas
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:47 »
I think that is a sound strategy  :)

If I have stuff in pots or modules waiting to go in, I give them a weak liquid feed now and then.  It keeps them looking healthy and happy, without encouraging overly rapid growth.  I have a general purpose one I use for things that are growing, rather than fruiting.  The latter get tomato feed.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56 »
I am presuming these are spring cabbage/caulis.

If the leaves are nice and green do not feed them but keep them well watered. If they are a bit pale/yellow/blue then a bit of feed will perk them up.

If they are fed too much nitrogen at this stage they will get soft and leafy, not like to be transplanted and struggle to survive a hard Winter.

Feed them as soon as there are signs of Spring with chicken pellets and they will grow away fast.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:16 »
OK I will just keep on doing what I am doing at the moment which is water twice daily we are getting very high temps just now way over thirty degrees for the past couple of weeks. The ground the are going into is really dry just now but the autumn rains will start in October... although thirty centigrade is not unusual then! 

trunk monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 22:08 »
A pinch of sulphate of ammonia might help.

xx
brassicas

Started by Rhuby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2006, 17:22
by John
xx
When to net brassicas?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2019, 20:53
by sunshineband
xx
brassicas!

Started by Nomes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 19:00
by Nomes
xx
brassicas

Started by iggyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 21:37
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 37 queries.