Bagging apples to prevent codling moth damage.

• 2 Replies

Ivor Backache

Bagging apples to prevent codling moth damage.
« on: August 21, 2017, 22:17 »
I have had a good crop of apples but also a lot of damage due to the codling moth. I used a pheromone trap and grease on the trunk. The traps did not do much and the grease did not work at all.

Did some work on the internet and came across plastic bagging of the fruit from a very early stage. Timing is crucial, but the plan is the seal the young apple before the moth lays any eggs and it grows in the bag.

Did a search on the site and found nothing. Has anyone done this and what advice can they give.

Lardman

Re: Bagging apples to prevent codling moth damage.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:35 »
I bagged some of mine with organza bags this year - the squirrels took them (and the bags). Before they made off with them I took this, you can see the worm damage to the apple and the hole in the bag. For the record that tree was also sprayed with "winter wash" and has a grease band.

Plastic bags may be an option - there's a youtuber (prof kent) who shows it in one of his videos but I suspect they will just result is moldy fruit.
organza_fail - Copy.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:36 by Lardman »

Ivor Backache

Re: Bagging apples to prevent codling moth damage.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 18:29 »
Thank you Lardman for your reply. I have never seen apples being bagged but as more insecticides continue to be banned, us amateurs will have to consider different options. 95% of my 'Sunset' crop were affected as was about 60% of my 'Spartan' crop.
I have seen the YouTube  videos, the bags need the lower corners cut off to let the fruit breath. A 100 bags have cost me just under £4 so it is nothing ventured nothing gained.
I have read somewhere that the bagging has to be done before June 1st, and I need to be more hands on with the traps and greasing.

xx
Bad year for codling moth damage

Started by Rhuby on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 13:44
by BabbyAnn
xx
Codling Moth

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2010, 22:56
by noshed
xx
Codling Moth

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 11:42
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Codling moth confusion.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 18:02
by Lardman

Page created in 1.166 seconds with 36 queries.