potatoes

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

potatoes
« on: July 31, 2017, 22:38 »
we grow over 25 kilo late spuds red potato do well on our ground so we grew desiree late and some various varieties for early around 5 kilo 

however on my daughters allotment some 15 miles away things are different the spuds have a scabby skin they look bad but it doesn't seem to effect the taste when scraped or pealed so what in your opinion what causes this is it the soil the variety I plant her potato crop and there planted in the same way as I plant my spuds in my allotment?

the other question is we grow some of our early potatoes in potato buckets in compost they crop pretty good but when we boil them they all break up sow we have to under cook them is it the variety what can be done to overcome this

Twitch

Re: potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 05:58 »
Hello,

I have some with scab this year.

Potato scab is mainly caused by letting the soil/compost dry out whilst the potatoes are forming.
This is also the cause of them breaking up when boiled.

The only way around this now is to steam them rather than boil.

So more watering next year if it is as dry as it was the first part of this growing year, or choose scab resistant ones.

:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10 »
RHS advice re:scab
Non-chemical control
•Select seed carefully and avoid planting seed potatoes that have visible signs of scab. Legislation controls the amount of infection allowed in seed, but low levels are permitted
•To control common scab, do not allow the soil to become dry during tuber development. Raise organic matter levels to improve water retention. Water the developing crop if necessary, starting two to three weeks after plants emerge and continuing for about four weeks, applying 20 litres per sq m (4 gallons per sq yd)
•Common scab is worse on alkaline soil, so liming the soil to prevent club root of brassicas will predispose to common scab in potatoes. Apply lime after the potato course of the rotation
•Choose resistant cultivars. ‘Accent’, ‘Arran Pilot’, ‘Juliette’, ‘Golden Wonder’, ‘King Edward’, ‘Pentland Crown’ and ‘Pentland Javelin’ show some resistance to common scab. ‘Desiree’, ‘Hermes’, ‘King Edward’, ‘Pixie’ and ‘Sante’ show some resistance to powdery scab
•AHDB Potatoes produces the British Potato Variety Database, which lists pest and disease resistance on a one to nine scale for many varieties and is a valuable guide to variety selection if any particular pest or disease is known to be a likely problem. For more information visit The British Potato Variety Database

Yes, as said, steaming is best for newly dug potatoes. Once out of the soil for a few days they seem to break less, but sometimes that is at the expense of the 'new' taste :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 17:18 »
Very comprehensive list there! I was going to mention alkalinity as that is the problem we have on our new plot. Lots of manure will eventually reduce the pH and so reduce scab

Interesting that King Edwards are mentioned as scab resistant. We stopped growing them on our first plot as they were so scabby, so goodness knows what they would have been like otherwise!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 21:21 »
thanks all I've got the message very helpful in the  future understand what's needed to grow scab free potatoes

xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 23:58
by plot36

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 29 queries.