Eaten potatoes

• 1 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Eaten potatoes
« on: July 30, 2017, 21:34 »
This is something that I never experienced on my allotment in the UK but since being here it's been a recurring problem and, this year, it's the worst it's ever been.
Field voles which tunnel everywhere and just don't stop eating. I lifted my King Edward's today and some plants just had a few marble sized potatoes left. The others were almost completely devoured - tiny pieces of potato left in the ground and loads of teeth marks.
I have Sarpo Mira and Nicola as main crops but have no idea if they actually have any potatoes left under the haulms whiich are still green and leafy. I don't know what to do? I have a cat that is a great hunter but the damage continues. They also eat carrots, beetroots, chard (the roots), parsley and even leeks. Any ideas or experience welcome.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Eaten potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:11 »
It is a bad rodent year here too, and many of our potatoes were part eaten, mostly by rats, beetroot was completely decimated, mangetout bitten off at ground level so they could get the remains of the pea seed, and the tops of carrot roots munched away too

I have been using snap traps baited with peanut butter, which have been very effective, but have not removed al of them of course...mainly field mice and voles... but it certainly helps reduce the population. The Red Kites take them then from the verge outside our plot.

With beans of any kind, I actually take the remains of the seeds off before I set out the plants, which has helped a lot
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Help!! What's eaten my potatoes??

Started by kathryn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 10:19
by gobs
xx
What have you eaten??

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 20:57
by Ice
xx
Everything is being eaten...

Started by lewishamsarah on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 11:10
by GD
xx
Help, I'm being eaten alive!

Started by Anteater on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 09:29
by Ema

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 36 queries.