Newbie looking for advice

• 10 Replies

Bristol Branks

Newbie looking for advice
« on: July 17, 2017, 22:27 »
Good evening all!

I have just taken on a rather messy plot, I am determined to grow something this year and wondered what is best for planting now?

I've googled a bit and I've ordered  some French beans, beetroot and some sort of small ball shaped carrot!?(can't remember name) to plant as they are still possible to get this year but wondered  if you can advise further?

I have a lot of sorting out to do! but want to have some inspiration and something growing behind me as I slog away working on the rest of the plot!

Thanks in advance

snowdrops

Re: Newbie looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 22:39 »
You could try some lettuces & spring onions. Then for planting in the autumn you can do Japanese onions,broad beans specifically for autumn planting
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 04:07 »
If you would like something for early next year you could try spring greens, perpetual spinach. The Chinese vegetables all sound good for winter crops although I haven't tried them yet. For a quick crop Kohl Rabi, radish, salad leaves, you may have time for a few peas. Enjoy your plot!!

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 07:21 »
Hello and welcome. There's still time to get some Red Russian borecole going, it'll grow right through a mild winter. Land cress and rocket can be sown too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:38 »
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The site's  'Sowing & Planting in July on the Vegetable Plot' page has some suggestions :)   
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-advice-month/fruit-vegetable-growing-july/   

Bristol Branks

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 22:44 »
Thank you all

Lottiman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 21:29 »
Welcome and good luck with the new plot. Just to add to the great advice already given, garlic is another one to think about l normally put mine in November time.
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 21:49 »
If you want a nice easy win under your belt with a quick return get some radish in a small patch while your clearing.
As previously mentioned the month by month planting section thats already linked is pretty much my go-to guide.

Welcome to the forum!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 22:13 »
Welcome

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 20:55 »
 its nice to see someone getting interested in there allotment and above all wanting to grow something I've seen many interested parties with all the confidence in the world eager to start planting something or other down our allotments that unfortunately ends up with a start but no finish

it not my intention to tell you how to suck eggs but to tell you how I started my allotment if that's any help
 you see i like to start with a clean canvas or plot so first of i spray the hole plot with roundup then in around three weeks i start to cultivate first to test  the ground with a soil testing kit and then draw a plan of the plot for rotation of crops one of the main things i believe in feeding the ground for the best results

i would manure half my plot before digging and because its getting a bit late in the season i would be planning my plot more for next season also looking at green manures depending on the availability of good farm manure

now some gardeners who prefer not to use chemicals would probably disagree with my methods but as i said that's my way of working and its proven to work for me but its your choice at the end of the day good luck with your new plot  i hope this reply helps

Bristol Branks

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07 »
Thank you all again for help and replies, because I was eager to plant stuff I now have a few things on and doing well, my problem is that I have thin grass growing back through in and around where I have put seeds down, I guess I just have to deal with this and put up with it due to me being too eager in the first place? As the only other option I can see is picking them out one by one!?

Thanks again

xx
Newbie looking for advice!!

Started by sarahwilson on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 19, 2011, 00:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by akexi1207 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:59
by Yorkie
xx
Advice for a newbie!

Started by miss k on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 15:19
by aqua
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 14:44
by fletcherbaker

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 38 queries.