Onions in the spud patch.

• 6 Replies

Kathogur

Onions in the spud patch.
« on: July 05, 2017, 17:12 »
Hi all.   I have cleared a patch of potatoes, they taste devine.   Could i replant some potatoes that I have in the shed or onions that have been left in the patch i have cleared?   If you think this is unwise can you suggest something for me to plant, thank you.

Gellideg

Re: Onions in the spud patch.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 18:51 »
Good to hear you have enjoyed your tasty potatoes- you are making me feel hungry! We have a great crop this year too,and tasty!,you can't beat it!!
Anyway,back to your question.If I were you I would follow early potatoes with leeks,as they are easy peasy to grow,and great for early winter and on.Perhaps you can find some ready to "dib in" at a garden centre near you.I grow mine from seed,sown in trays early May.Carrots would fit in now,but onions would too late now.I would not fancy 2 crops of potatoes,but some do.An early frost would be my fear.
Hope this helps     John.

Kathogur

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 20:31 »
Thank you John.  I will look and see if i can get some leeks.  I thought maybe spuds was a no no.  Be good to have something for winter.

Yes the potatoes have been really nice.  My sister had some today from me and she has tx me and said they are the best she has ever tasted.  Worth the growing x

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 23:30 »
Being old school I always follow on my early taters with leeks. 5 rows of mussls going in on Saturday. Have never had a bad crop  of leeks using thisa time honored method
May the fork be with you

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 00:18 »
Here's a different angle that you may find useful.
Basically I no long ever follow potatoes with onions.
The reason being ? ..... onions get planted out early in the year before volunteers from the previous year show themselves. You are then left with potatoes growing up through your onion crop, and there will be volunteers, there always are. I now only plant crops that go in after the "volunteer window" has passed if you follow me. No one wants to disturb sprouting onions to get rid of volunteers.
In view of the above, the best crops to follow potatoes would be brassicas, squash, beans, sweet corn etc.... all the later planted crops.

Kathogur

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 19:09 »
I have managed to get some leek plugs, should be here Mon/Tues and will put  them in, never grown them before, in fact only really done beans, spuds, cues and toms.  Got lots more in this year.   

Should I get some manure or something in before I plant up the leeks, thanks all.

mrsbean

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 23:08 »
I always follow potatoes with leeks. As for manure i do,nt as the the potato trenches were manured.

clip
What is weed in my spud patch

Started by Flagstaffview on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 24, 2020, 22:47
by jezza
xx
Idea to fix 'overcrowded' spud patch - help?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 16:28
by iwantanallotment
xx
Top spud tip

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 20:46
by gobs
xx
spud me like................

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 22:46
by mrpotatohead

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.