Runner beans

• 12 Replies

greetwellboy

Runner beans
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:01 »
Anyone have any ideas as to why the flowers just drop off,and I am left with just a stork ????
And no beans ???

arh

Re: Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:32 »
Quite a few of mine have done this too, I have a suspicion that it might be to do with lack of water, (or bees!), even though I have tried to water them as much as I am able to.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:02 »
It's usually dryness at the roots, or here I have young sparrows pecking the flowers off  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:43 »
I find that the first flowers often fail to set - my completely unscientific theory is that bees take time to find the flowers and/or work out how to pollinate them (the bee needs to stand on the keel of the flower to 'trip' them - bumble bees are heavier and therefore more effective than honey bees, although there is a type of short-tongued bee which takes a short cut to the nectar and pollen by chewing through the rear of the flower, which then doesn't set. :nowink:)

There isn't a great deal you can do about it in reality - as Mum has already mentioned, they must be kept well watered, bee-friendly flowers in the immediate vicinity can help, and growing your beans in a fairly sheltered spot should increase the number of bee visits.

I've had sparrows pecking off both the growing tips and flowers in the past, and apart from last year when there were few sparrows about, I've had to resort to draping netting over the sloping part of my Munty frame to try to put them off. Tell-tale signs are flowers lying on the ground before they've even opened.

Don't worry yet - sparrows apart, they'll probably come good in the end.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arh

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:16 »
Thank you for the replies, Mum and Jay, I'm thinking of growing another Lavender Hedge by the plot to attract the bumblebees, as for the water!!, doing the best I can. The sparrows are welcome to what little they take.

greetwellboy

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:06 »
Thanks for all your replies,lets hope it comes good in the end.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:08 by greetwellboy »

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 08:44 »
As mentioned, early runner flowers often have a setting problem. Our site has had a resident beekeeper for the last 3 years and the setting has improved immensely, with less of the back door bees seen.
One way around the problem if it is a regular annual thing is to use a hybrid of a runner and a french bean that is self pollinating. I've used one called Moonlight in the past with good results but the seed is comparatively expensive. In fact, I would suggest the very fact there are such hybrids is proof that runners can have a pollination problem. They're not as robust and reliable as one might think if you take your eye off them.

arh

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 13:24 »
Thank you very much Victoria for that info. "Moonlight" runner/french bean seeds has just gone onto my shopping list for next year. What are your F1 brussels named please. arh.
ps. in fact, looking at my list for next year, the only "same seeds" as for this year, are Sturon onions and White Gem parsnips, that's progress. A perfect little, (not so little), goldmine this website, and the onions are seeds and not sets.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 13:31 by arh »

victoria park

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 20:30 »
My brussels are Maximus F1 from Dobies.  Very reliable, and they produce early if planted early but also hold well for a long time.  Twelve plants see me picking plenty  for about 4 months, as I harvest as the plants grow and work my way up the stalks. I tend to dual run new varieties with old ones for one year just to be on the safe side before I ditch them.
Firestorm are another self pollinating runner/french hybrid but I haven't tried those.

arh

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:34 »
Thank you very much Hun, on the list goes Maximus F1.

Lottie Digger

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 13:49 »
I seem to have all short tongued bees visiting my runners, will they put off other bees?

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 10:39 »
My brussels are Maximus F1 from Dobies.  Very reliable, and they produce early if planted early but also hold well for a long time.  Twelve plants see me picking plenty  for about 4 months, as I harvest as the plants grow and work my way up the stalks. I tend to dual run new varieties with old ones for one year just to be on the safe side before I ditch them.
Firestorm are another self pollinating runner/french hybrid but I haven't tried those.
I tried Firestorm last year.  The yield was quite impressive but I wasn't so keen on the taste compared to others I have grown (The Czar; Prizewinner; Painted Lady).

Their other drawback is that as a hybrid you can't save the seed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 12:05 »
Yes they are hybrids between two species of beans Phaseolus Coccineus x Phaseolus vulgaris rather than crosses between two different varieties (an f1).

I think this means you should still be able to save seeds.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 32 queries.