Fruitless pear tree

• 10 Replies

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
Fruitless pear tree
« on: June 13, 2017, 17:28 »
I have planted conference pear tree which is in it's second year on my plot, this year it has a few pears on it. I also inherited from the previous plot owner another tree which has similar leaves to the conference tree, it had white flowers a few weeks ago but now only has green leaves but no fruit, I have heard of decorative pear trees that bear no fruit, I was planning to give it another year to see if it produced fruit, my question is how long does it take a pear tree to produce it's first fruit, the tree in question has been there at least three years.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruitless pear tree
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 17:40 »
Trouble is we had some late frosts this year, that could have damaged the flowers on the later flowering tree  :(

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/172058/apple-growers-despondent-after-frosts-hit-crops

Generally, if you get flowers you get fruit, unless the weather is bad at/just after flowering.

honeymelon

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 22:37 »
Mum is right ,my cherry tree lost 80% fruits due to this year's late frost, a lot of people had the same problem here.
Trouble is we had some late frosts this year, that could have damaged the flowers on the later flowering tree  :(

http://www.fruitnet.com/fpj/article/172058/apple-growers-despondent-after-frosts-hit-crops

Generally, if you get flowers you get fruit, unless the weather is bad at/just after flowering.

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48 »
Thank you for your replies, the tree will live on to flower next year.

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 17:28 »
All the pear trees I planted over the last few years have given good fruit every year BUT the pear tree that was here when I bought the plot is by far the best tasting, biggest fruit and biggest year BUT BUT BUT only every second year. Regular as clockwork one year nothing, one year a feast. I dont know the variety or a reason why. There are plenty of pollinators around and I don't treat it any different any year.
Luckily this year is the feast year and is looking good.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 20:32 »
Sorry to revive an old(ish) post but my 2 year old conference didn't produce any flowers either last year or this.

I did prune it in 2015 when I planted it (bare root, dwarfing rootstock) but not this year as I wanted the fruiting buds to form but I have nothing.

Same with the Victoria plum I planted at the same time.

Any ideas what conditions they need now to produce the buds for next year?

Ta muchly,
Su

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 21:17 »
As MoS says - late frosts were definitely a problem this year. Your pear tree is still very young. How old is your Victoria? I'm fairly sure they are generally one of the most reliable to fruit, but we had two nights of killer frosts in late April this year and afterwards I watched all the little fruits on all my trees turn black and drop off one by one.
Very disheartening, but I imagine they'll come back even stronger next year after the enforced rest!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 22:03 »
Thanks Deborah1,  I don't actually recall any flowers on either tree this year so no baby fruits would have been around to form.

Both trees are only 3 years old ( 1yo bare roots plus 2 years in the ground now).  I'll need to prune the pear this winter because the branches all grew upwards instead of outwards but I'll leave some branches unpruned, esp if/where I see what could be a fruit bud.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:19 »
I have had my pair tree for around 3-4 years and it has had few pairs on until this year. Now it is loaded so that the branches are bending.
Perhaps yours just needs time.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 11:16 »
I'd agree that sometimes pears need a few years to establish properly.  Mine also tend to have a productive year, and then a year off, particularly if the previous year's crop has been extremely heavy. There is an old saying "Plant pears for your heirs", although they don't really take THAT long to crop.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 17:40 »
I can also confirm that the first two years of my dwarf conference had no pears, but this year (3rd) I had a good number and decent size pears for the first time. Apart from that it does depend on fruit tress just when the blossoms appear in relation to weather and pollinators.

xx
pear tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 22:38
by samuria
xx
New pear tree

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 19, 2019, 19:10
by jambop
clip
Pear tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 07:09
by Growster...
xx
pear tree

Started by mafost on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 20:00
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 38 queries.