Transporting bushes?

• 10 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Transporting bushes?
« on: June 04, 2017, 06:34 »
We are due to move house in a few weeks and I will have to give up my beloved allotment as we are moving counties. I am hoping to get another allotment (although there are no council ones in existence so it will be private!) but we have a small garden with our new place.

My question is about my soft fruit bushes. It has taken me 4 years to get them to a good size and fruiting heavily. Would you go through the hassle of waiting until winter, digging up, transporting in husbands car for the 45 minute drive each way (and then having to clean his car) and replanting it would you just cut your losses and start again? They are not rare varieties or anything

m1ckz

Re: Transporting bushes?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 07:11 »
me  i would prob leave them  but gl in what you do

arh

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:00 »
I think that you have answered your own question. But, if it were me, and I was able to lift and transport them,I would take them with me. (and tell him to clean his own car,  :D, while I cooked his dinner :lol:). If you wrapped them in damp sacking then plastic sheeting, there would be very little mess, do it when you move and the mileage vanishes. But that's me. Lots of luck with the move, take it easy, try not to get stressed, and it's not as bad as they say, done it 14+ times.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51 »
Take some cuttings & leave them or, wait until you actually get your house & garden, prepare an area for them, dig them up on a cool day, a 45 minutes drive won't hurt them, wrap them like arh says won't hurt them.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51 »
If you are actually selling your house, I wouldn't assume that you will have access to the plants in 6 months' time to dig them up. If you choose to take  them when you move, follow arh's advice after digging them up with the biggest rootball you can reasonably take; also (if you're selling up) make sure you've declared you're taking than on the sale documents.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arh

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 14:50 »
I think that the poster was inferring that the bushes were on the allotment plot, but even so, coming back and claiming them in 6 months might not be possible. Personally, as I said, I would take them with me when I moved, get them in the ground as soon as possible. If they live, you win, if they don't, you've lost nothing.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 17:46 »
The bushes are on the allotment and I haven't given notice on the allotment as I can manage the £13 annual fee of now haha! I also know that now is the absolute worst time to move them - in full fruit. I will also have to go back at some point to remove tools/netting etc I won't have time to do before we go

I might leave them until late summer/early autumn and make my decision then. Thanks

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 00:26 »
It sounds as if you have been attached to your allotment and it's fruit, so I would dig them up and take them when moving as they have almost sentimental value. It's hard leaving favourite plants behind that have been tended with care. Allotment growing is a good excuse to be a bit dotty.
There's no reason why fruit bushes moved in the Summer won't survive if done carefully with a decent amount of the root ball and watering etc, and their temporary conditions will encourage you to get up and running with a new plot asap.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33 »
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding; brain went off in that direction without enough thought!

If you're going to be able to keep on top of the plot from a distance until later in the year, or persuade a friend to do so in exchange for crops, then that would be better for the plants. Otherwise it's worth a try and potentially just sacrificing one Year's fruit.

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 16:32 »
I'd dig them up and take them with me. (I did). Wait until the leaves drop in autumn and then carefully pull the branches together using something like a roll of clingfilm. This makes them easier to dig up and transport and prevents damage. As relatively young plants they should recover pretty quickly if planted into warm soil in Autumn giving them all winter to establish new roots.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 19:53 »
The cling film tip is a good one thanks!

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
transporting manure

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 12:30
by jazzbyrd
xx
Transporting Compost

Started by Dr Green Thumb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 20:24
by Dr Green Thumb
xx
Transporting Horse Manure - advice please!

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:17
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.879 seconds with 36 queries.