asparagus

• 4 Replies

sam51

asparagus
« on: May 29, 2017, 15:27 »
hi all, planted some asparagus crowns about a month ago, about 8 inches down, no sign of anything yet,
except weeds, how long do they take to come through the ground , what am i surpose to be looking for,
are they doing anything,? or have they died, never grown it before.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Re: asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 22:29 »
I'm no expert and someone may come along later and correct me, but I planted a new asparagus bed last Spring. I was advised not to plant deep at first, but to gradually add more soil/compost as the season progressed. I did this and finally put on a thick layer of manure in the winter after the plants had stopped growing.
All of the crowns I'd planted bar one, have sent up new shoots this Spring. Did you perhaps plant too deep?

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 22:53 »
Hi,
Do you know what age they are the crowns you brought?  Mine where two years old when I got them, I left them completely alone the first year let them go to ferns.  Second year (3 years old for them) took maybe 3-5 off each crown and let go to ferns again. Third year (4 years old for them) done the same as the second year.  Forth year (5 years old for them) took what ever they gave which was pretty good. This year doing the same as last year, getting lots off them.   I stop cutting them down on father's day and let them go to ferns again. Once the ferns have all died back cut back to soil level. Then cover with two inch of well rotted horse poo.  Make sure you support all the ferns as they can grow big and get damaged in the wind. Most of all be patient they will be around for about 20 year's to look after them.

Dan

I will add a picture when I manage to resize it
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 13:22 »
When is father's day?

I stop cutting mine at the Summer Solstice, 21st June - the longest day.

sam51

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 20:32 »
well blow me over, went to the allotment today, and 2 asparagus have appeared, about 5 " high
happy day today.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:02
by harry

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 36 queries.