Beans/corn in heated propagated?

• 6 Replies

Lottie Digger

Beans/corn in heated propagated?
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:09 »
Is germination of beans and sweet corn better in a heated propagated. I have just lost all my young plants from an unheated greenhouse and am desperate to catch up  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Beans/corn in heated propagated?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:34 »
I don't use one for either and I haven't even started my beans yet  :D

I chit my sweetcorn and beans somewhere warm (not hot) indoors, see here for how to do it....

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=76184.msg862191#msg862191

victoria park

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 13:04 »
I have always started off my sweet corn in electric propagators. No problems whatsoever, never, until this year when I decided for some strange reason I would chit and then sow into pots. That turned out to be not my best idea this year. What a pain with very poor results. So, I have now got another batch under heat today as normal, albeit 10 days later than I would prefer. It's not too late at all for sweet corn, although I prefer to get mine off to as early a start as possible to miss the local young badgers frolicking around come September. I can normally get a crop in and finished by the end of August, first week in September.
In a propagator they are always up and showing in 5 days or less. I fully expect them to be up by the weekend, when they will head to the greenhouse for about 10 days, then a short harden off and out before the end of May under a protective mesh for a few days to help the hardening process, and in particular to keep the wind off for a fortnight.

Quite the opposite for my beans. Have always just soaked overnight and then planted out direct, but always always under flat laid mesh to protect from rodents. My runners and main french crop were put in the soil on 8 May, now frosts are for all intents and purposes gone.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 15:02 »
I usually get my seeds going by wrapping in damp kitchen roll, then putting them in a plastic container in my propagator.  It's best to keep an eye on them, and rinse if they start to smell.  I've also found that I need to put a piece of cardboard under the container so they don't overheat and cook.... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 23:27 »
Absolutely no propagator needed and many of us  are just sowing them now. You are all right. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Luiska

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:55 »
I sowed runner beans and corn side by side in the polytunnel (1st year of using one so it's a lot about experimentation); the polytunnel was very warm - too warm perhaps? - and the corn came up a treat but the runners mostly rotted. Maybe too wet as well? A neighbour on the allotment said that they prefer a cool start to a hot one, given the choice. So I disgustedly threw them all and their biodegradable pots on the compost and sowed direct in the soil. Last year, without a polytunnel - without an allotment either, for that matter -  I sowed runners for my balcony garden in plastic pots on a windowsill; 100% success rate.

For that matter, a range of perennials that I have successfully sowed on window sills in the past have also failed to germinate in the tunnel. Too hot? Too much temperature variation? I think it's back to window sill technology - at least until I am ready to prick the seedlings out, because the seedlings in the tunnel are doing great: the tomatoes are producing their second truss, the chillies have set, corn racing along.

Lottie Digger

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 18:04 »
Thanks everyone! I've sown again directly in root trainers this time so fingers crossed    ::)

xx
three sisters corn, beans n squash

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 15:53
by sally_cinnamon
xx
sweet corn and french beans

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 19:20
by jazzbyrd
xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
clip
Heated vs un-heated

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 23:48
by Robster

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 30 queries.