Frost forecast

• 32 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost forecast
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 16:45 »
I haven't planted any beans either yet.

The chillies, peppers, aubergines and toms are still inside on the windowsills.  The greenhouse and coldframe are fleeced and there are cloches on a few things at the plot.

Fingers crossed now that everything else makes it through.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 19:22 »
My beans are still in homebase!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 19:31 »
I've nothing coming through that will be affected by frost and all my tender plants are in a heated greenhouse.

However, at this time of year I'm usually sowing my carrots & parsnips. It's not just the next couple of days I'm looking at, but up to 10 days hence the overnight temp is very low and that's not good for germination, so I'm debating holding back even later than usual.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 19:50 »
Yes, the forecasts for the next few weeks (even into May on some of them) are for below average temperatures - but as usual the further ahead you look the more uncertainty there is. So I didn't mention it, in case it frightened anyone  ::)

It will be awful if it does happen, though  :ohmy:

victoria park

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 20:17 »
I'm a big fan of early sowing if prepared. Everyone's micro climate is different, and I guess we all work with the resource we've got. I'm a mile and a bit from the sea, so frost this time of year is very very unlikely to be hard. The forecast for the next 10 days is a tad below average but little different than last April. Some neighbours however have sweet corn and maize three inches high already in their cold greenhouse which is definitely a bit early in my mind. Have told them to put a bit of fleece over them if they think the night time temps are dodgy.  I haven't sown my own corn or runners yet and don't plan to for a week. In any case, all my beans are now sown direct under cover outside when the time comes. Have just today sown courgettes and squash in the propagator, as I can manage them indoor if necessary.

gobs

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 23:15 »
I've nothing coming through that will be affected by frost and all my tender plants are in a heated greenhouse.

However, at this time of year I'm usually sowing my carrots & parsnips. It's not just the next couple of days I'm looking at, but up to 10 days hence the overnight temp is very low and that's not good for germination, so I'm debating holding back even later than usual.

I also looked into it and the forecast daytime temperatures aren't that great either. With being overcast, here, anyway. I am glad really, I was busy with something else, so I couldn't sow and plant out what I wanted this weekend.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

3759allen

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 07:48 »
i've just watched country file (recorded) and it said that east anglia will be down to 0 with clear skies tue morning. when i got up it was raining and now sunny, don't think it got below 5 or 6 degree's.

think i will be putting fleece out over the next few nights just in case, but i'm not going to stress too much.

arh

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 08:01 »
The sky is clear, but we never had a frost here, though only being 500 yards from a SSE shore I wasn't expecting one, but the wind is from the north and cold. The air temp at 0700 was +6

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 08:17 »
My cold greenhouse thermometer recorded 1.3 degrees, and that's in a built up area. Glad I brought everything indoors!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 09:18 »
My cold greenhouse thermometer recorded 1.3 degrees, and that's in a built up area. Glad I brought everything indoors!

1.4C recorded in mine  :(

miggs

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 09:48 »
Looks like the seeds I took out of the potting shed to harden off will be going back in.

Mum2mj

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 15:43 »
My beans are still in their seed packet  ::)  :lol:

Same here

m1ckz

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 16:01 »
was no frost here 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 17:05 »
If it is cloudy, you may not see a frost, but how low did the temperature go? That's the main thing.

gobs

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 23:20 »
There was no frost here, just around zero, that's what they are offering here for tonight too, as of new.

xx
Frost forecast

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2024, 09:36
by Grubbypaws
xx
eek grass frost forecast !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 22:01
by yorkiegal
xx
BBC Five Live Weather Forecast - "Potential for a Ground Frost in the North!!!"

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 18:57
by arugula
xx
June Forecast

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15
by maxibo

Page created in 1.483 seconds with 39 queries.