Pea and bean weevil

• 3 Replies

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Pea and bean weevil
« on: April 12, 2017, 14:36 »
It seems our site is currently seeing an explosion in pea and bean weevil numbers. Some damage to broad beans is normal but this year the peas too are being hit hard to the point where their survival is looking dubious.
Is anyone else experiencing this and do you have any tips on dealing with it.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: Pea and bean weevil
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 15:23 »
 Peas and Beans have a bit but no more that usual. I have found though that the Pak Choi has been seriously affected even being under cloches has not protected them.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 23:47 »
Slow growth due to cool conditions and lack of water will allow the weevils to get the upper hand. You could spray with a py but you have to catch them on the plants to be effective.

Damage to pak choi will be a different pest. Could be a different weevil species or flea beetle. Weevil damage is very distinctive with uniform knotches taken out of the edge of the leaf. Flea beetle is shot holes which increase in size as the leaves expand.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:22 »
Slow growth due to cool conditions and lack of water will allow the weevils to get the upper hand. You could spray with a py but you have to catch them on the plants to be effective.

Thanks Salmo. I've started watering the peas and will tell others on site. Unfortunately mine were sown direct so as they emerge and are at their most vulnerable the weevils are having a feast (I suppose it's only to be expected really, lucky I got away with sowing direct in the past).
I've started a back-up batch of 400 in trays and will hold of transplanting until they're bigger and stronger.

xx
bean weevil HELP!

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 20:17
by Missy1970
xx
Pea and bean weevil

Started by allotment Kate on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2019, 10:06
by Aidy
xx
Pea and bean weevil

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:22
by Growster...
xx
Bean Weevil

Started by Lottiegob on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 16:23
by AnneB

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.