I wouldn't do it that way ...

• 7 Replies

Christine

I wouldn't do it that way ...
« on: April 09, 2017, 19:07 »
We all do things that work for us and wonder why they don't work for others.

I've taken over an allotment where, for the first couple of years, the previous tenant kept chickens. He gave up after that as it was too much effort to visit daily and stayed another two years before the allotment was too much effort. He left it extremely tidy, full of raised beds and virtually weed free.

But I wouldn't have composted his chicken manure by itself in an enclosed container on pavings. It's taking some effort to empty as the contents are extremely wet. And it seems he composted nothing else.

I'd have composted anything I could along with the chicken manure - but not on paving slabs. So - who else has taken on a plot and said "Hmm I wouldn't have done that"?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I wouldn't do it that way ...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 19:20 »
The new plot had lots of tiny 'beds' with edges made of really really thin wood, as used to make overlap fences  ::)

Not fit for purpose (they'd collapsed) and now I have to get rid of it  :( No car and no bonfires allowed 'til Autumn)

*sigh*

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 19:31 »
I have seen new allotmenters which plot was cleared and they put in grass paths!!! Slugs and snails love grass.

I did learn a lot of good things as well...still do not know how to tie in a cucumber plant though

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 19:50 »
I took on another half plot a while ago. It had old carpets and sun degraded plastics everywhere that just shattered as soon as you touched them. Five years of couch/weeds had grown through the leaching chemical decaying carpets. I am trying to get our committee to ban any carpet laying for any purpose at all.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 19:52 by victoria park »

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 22:36 »
Using the allotment plot to dump rotting kitchen units, a sideboard and a dismantled public phone box...

I wouldn't have done that...

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:08 »
Well, I wish a previous tenant on my plot hadn't spread foam backed blue carpet all over the place, so I am with Victoria Park on that one, it had couch grass and horsetail all the way through it.  Mainly though I wish they hadn't smashed up an old greenhouse in situ and covered it with soil.   

I also wish a former next door neighbour hadn't diverted the boundary fence in order to acquire an apple tree that was actually in our plot, plus a good chunk of plot too - now corrected once he left.

MustbeMad

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:07 »
My new plot has the same carpet issues and buried smashed up greenhouse that others have had. I will be removing glass and carpet threads and bits of plastic for years!

I also had what appears to be a small patio about a foot down (makes digging very difficult🙁) so I guess someone had a sunken garden at some point as the plot is level??

Next door dug out half a motorbike - don't know what happened to the other half😄

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 14:14 »
I have seen new allotmenters which plot was cleared and they put in grass paths!!! Slugs and snails love grass.

I did learn a lot of good things as well...still do not know how to tie in a cucumber plant though

Can't help that on my plot, as the communal paths, one which borders my plot, are all grassed. In addition, I have a hedge and a ditch on the opposite boundary which slugs will also love, so I just have to deal with the elevated risk.

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 30 queries.