Best crop and bête noir....

• 15 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Best crop and bête noir....
« on: April 06, 2017, 18:12 »
For me the trouble free veg are curly kale and carrots (as long as I grow them above carrot fly level). I just stick them in and nothing seems to eat them or kill them until I do! On the flip side I can't seem to grow a decent beetroot, they are always stunted and woody. Thought they were supposed to be easy!! Do you have anything you struggle to grow?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best crop and bête noir....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 19:02 »
Celeriac doesn't like it on my original plot, as it is very free draining.
The other plot that I've not long taken on is damp, according to the OBs so I'm going to try growing some on there.

Fingers crossed  :D

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 19:12 »
I can't grow a decent swede or winter cabbage despite trying every year.  I can, however grow really good onions, but I don't know what I do right.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 20:28 »
I can't grow decent root veg (carrots or parsnips) for love nor money! However Sweetcorn and squash thrive!

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 22:01 »
This is only my second year of veggie growing. Last year I didn't manage to harvest a single edible cauliflower or carrot. I put it down to inexperience, but this year I'm going to repeat the successes to check how much was pure fluke.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:47 »
Always struggle to grow basil successfully, either indoors, outdoors, or in the greenhouse.

Outdoors is not warm enough, indoors it always seems to get attacked by greenfly and/or whitefly, which for a crop sometimes recommended as an aphid-repelling companion plant is a tad annoying!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:23 »
I also struggle to grow basil, it just never really takes off...it just kind of bumbles along. Annoying as we eat a lot of pesto and basil, so it's something I'd love to grow a lot more of.

Swedes are another thing which I don't seem to be able to crack. They either get demolished by slugs or don't bulk up.

Everything else I actually do ok with. I even managed some aubergines for the first time last year!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:26 »
Robinahood - try growing a variety of beetroot called Boldor. It's a golden beetroot that's supposedly easier to grow. It tastes great and I grew a load last year without any problems at all. I did a single sowing and even at the end of the season it wasn't woody.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/beetroot-and-chard-seeds/beetroot-boldor/tt38789TM

madcat

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:05 »
Carrots are my bete noire - parsnips are fine!  And my stars are the squashes ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 11:33 »
I'm a genius  8) with sweet corn, peas, parsnips, greenhouse tomatoes, brussels, broad beans and PSB. My broadies and cloched peas are podding already.

My tripwires are miserable cauli, not thinning my carrots properly along with a bit of fly. Swedes are also more than a little disappointing. Sweet peppers go West every other year. I used to be bad at Brussels until I concentrated at the task in hand.

This year, I WILL crack caulis after missing the boat yet again last year :)
I've deduced they need a proper good start in decent seed compost without any sulk, more chicken pellets, and enviromesh from planting out to harvest. Also an F1 variety will help, fed up with the All year round.. Fingers crossed.
The biggest aid to improvement by a country mile has been enviromesh. Great stuff, as long as one ensures the plants get enough water.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:37 by victoria park »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 14:38 »
reliable performers for me are potatoes dwarf green beans and courgette

broccoli never seems to produce decent heads and my plum tree seems to have forgotten how to fruit so I bought a new one  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 15:15 »
I have fairly decent success with most things but just cannot crack florence fennel. Actually, for the last two years my courgettes have been miserable too (I didn't think anyone failed at courgettes but there you go..). In fairness they failed for lots of different reasons despite trying different varieties plus I think last years mosaic virus was coming in from next doors.

spadework

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 18:22 »
Can grow most things including caulis that are said to be difficult. (F1 hybrids, fertilizing and water raises the odds for success)

But lettuce is a real struggle. Whatever I do they hardly ever come up. Both early under cover and direct sown. I have also given up trying chinese cabbage as they have been a complete failure each time I tried growing them.

But plenty of other crops to keep us fed throughout the year so no complaints overall. :)

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 19:32 »
Celeriac is a bad 'un for me...

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 21:37 »
I seem to have a knack with carrots, no problems as long as I grow them under enviromesh.   Peas are very good too.   My bete noire are celeriac and in the polytunnel, aubergines.

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
New to this crop..........

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 14:31
by tosca100
xx
First crop !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 20:51
by ceri green
xx
My first crop

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 22:58
by lightyears

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 38 queries.