Last season's leek crop

• 12 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Last season's leek crop
« on: April 05, 2017, 19:42 »
They all went woody in autumn. As I'm anxious to avoid it this year, I've been racking my brains to find a possible reason why.
First thought was the weather. Well we don't do heat-waves in N Cumbria so I doubt that was the cause. Neither was it particularly dry.
Same types of Leek as normal, Musselburgh and Lyon, so no clues there
Same time of planting as normal, germinated in March and planted out in May. So no clues there

Could it be the type of feed I used? Instead of the normal Growmore, I used some surplus high nitrogen pasture fertilizer. It seems unlikely to me as a cause but everything else was as normal.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Gellideg

Re: Last season's leek crop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 20:43 »
Alin- I'm no expert with regards to veg growing,but maybe this may help.I grow Musselburgh leeks,and 5years ago,my first attempt I ended up with woody leeks similar to you,and since, I delay sowing until mid May and plant out from 3 inch pots after my broad beans in July.I use 12-11-18 ferti and eat lovely tender decent size leeks from October through to the end of March.Now I've said that,I will have trouble this year won't I?  John.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 21:31 »
I'll sow some more for planting out in July and see how they perform against the earlier ones. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that in the past I've always planted out in May. Maybe I've just been lucky with a combination of early plantings and poor summers. Last summer was the best we'd had for a few years so maybe that was the issue

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29 »
The other factor in all of this is the local Leek Shows that are invariably held in early autumn. I'm just assuming that to get to the size they do, they need much more than a two or three month growing season that a June or July planting suggests.

I always assumed that the later planting was simply a matter of convenience to take account of the earlier usage of the ground to grow Broad Beans or new spuds. Have I been kidding myself?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00 »
Show leeks are the result of a long detailed process, which involves selected stock and very high levels of nutrients and additives to the soil, plus the use of grow-lights in winter. Unless you want to grow for show you really wouldn't want to go down that route  :ohmy:
http://www.giantveg.co.uk/index.php/en/grow-guides/11-growing-guides/126-how-to-grow-a-giant-leek

I'd work on getting more manure/compost into your soil and also use some blood fish and bone to keep them growing strongly.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 10:43 »
Thanks MoS. Good advice which I'll follow.
One question. Assuming I give my leeks the correct nutrients etc, could my earlier sowing and April/May planting-out of them contribute to them bolting and going woody

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54 »
I usually sow early, without problems.
What may make a difference is holding them too long in their planting trays or pots? It could be this growth check that causes woody stems/bolting.

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 15:41 »
I usually sow early, without problems.
What may make a difference is holding them too long in their planting trays or pots? It could be this growth check that causes woody stems/bolting.

I do the same.  I sow early and get them onto the plot asap, weather permitting.  It's not really so that they will grow massive, but as soon as Christmas is over I can't wait to sow some seeds, so onions and leeks fit the bill.  I've never had a problem with woody leeks yet, but now I've said that, this might be the year!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 16:04 »
I made the mistake of sowing a late Summer leek one year, hoping for a late winter crop, and while I fed and nurtured them all through the Summer, they looked terrible by Christmaz!

I tend to rely on lots of liquid manure (6X manure in a water butt and comfrey+nettles), and have vowed to water the ground not the veg this year as sometimes the blanched section is particularly streaked with brown...

Don't really like leeks until November, so we usually sow Bandit in various forms.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 18:52 by Growster... »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 16:35 »
It seems to me that if you did something different last year, my suspicion would fall on that. If not, it's the weather. Too dry?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 12:58 »
It seems to me that if you did something different last year, my suspicion would fall on that. If not, it's the weather. Too dry?
That's logical. The weather was quite normal for N Cumbria so I blame the use of high nitrogen pasture fertiliser instead of the usual balanced NPK Growmore. Won't make same mistake this year

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:51 »
I don't tend to sow mine until late April in small pots kept in the greenhouse (Autumn Mammoth 2) then when they get about four or five big leaves I prick them out and dibble them into a larger and deeper pot (about 9 to a pot) then give them a little dilute feed with seaweed extract and put them outside. Around late June, I empty each pot onto the bed and separate them, evenly trim the roots, dib my holes and pop them in. Maybe a high-nitrogen feed makes them go woody as mine are fine.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 12:36 »
Just checked the Bandit leeks, and there's about 150 up after living in the airing cupboard for a week, and so they're out in the greenhouse to toughen up, and start growing properly!

Still got about thirty from last year to give away...

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
leek fly

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2007, 12:57
by WG.

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 38 queries.