Soil and potato planting query

• 23 Replies

mushroom

« on: January 25, 2008, 22:00 »
hi,

I'm on clay-based soil. I hit solid clay 2 spits down. The plot at the moment seems, er, moist ;) . But, and this is the thing, I haven't hit the water table yet.

A week ago, I had concerns with all the rain, whether the plot would be soaked, sodden. So I dug a hole 2 spits deep. I think this is roughly 3 feet? maybe less. Anyway, I was expecting a permanent pool of water to appear at the bottom. But, to my great releif, water hasn't appeared, even with all this rain. The soil is very moist though. Is it OK to plant me spuds? I have pink fir apple and cara. Do they need chitting? Which goes in first?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 22:05 »
Both are main crop the pink fir will mature later than the cara.

It's far to early to be planting spuds yet IMO, leave them till march time when the soil has warmed a little more and less risk of frost.

yes both would benefit from chitting

To tell how warm the soil is push your fingers into it if you can leave them there comfortably then it's warm enough .
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mushroom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 22:17 »
cheers Rich

The grass temp today was 5.6 C @ 0900

Can you put a figure on the fingers test? What is comfortable would be dependent on your circulation, wouldn't it? Mine is really good, so I would overestimate the temperature....

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 22:24 »
no sorry it's just a rough guide mushy bit better than sticking your bare bum on the soil  :lol: it will take a while yet before the soil gets warm enough to do much serious plantinng esp like me your on heavy clay takes an age to warm up,

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 22:33 »
Normally it is reckoned to get the soil temp up to 9 degrees before planting spuds, i agree with Rich that March would be the earliest i would risk it unless under plastic/fleece (preferably put on before planting to warm up the soil and on top after planting to protect from frost.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

mushroom

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 22:35 »
9 c!  :shock:

wow. That's very useful info, thank you.

gobs

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:27 »
Usually 7C is the minimum quoted for hardier seeds but that's not surface temp, 2-3 inches down.

Your soil thermometer would be measuring around 8-10cm down.

Our clay was a steady 7-9 C last year in March. You need the soil to be warm at least for a week steadily, too.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Martin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 18:11 »
Chris Bird from Sparsholt College, speaking at the Hampshire Potato Day in 2006, said that a good rule of thumb was that the soil was warm enough to plant spuds when you started to see worm casts on the soil.
Martin

gobs

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 18:18 »
Phew, I see worm cast all year round on and off. :shock:  :?

mushroom

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 18:23 »
:o  :o  :o yes!

I see those all the time :D

I'm still getting a soil thermometer though, sounds useful ;)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 19:11 »
Quote from: "mushroom"

I'm still getting a soil thermometer though, sounds useful ;)

Save yer money, just another gimmick IMHO to make gardening far more complicated than it should be.  If the soil feels warm enough it is warm enough, if you think it's cold, it's too cold simple. Your own soil thermometer as supplied by mother nature.  :wink:

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 19:49 »
Rich i disagree, as our body temp is around 37 deg C at 9 deg celsius the soil will still feel cold to the touch, if it feels warm then it is very warm.  I think a soil thermometer is actually a good idea if you can get one cheap but actually i would just plant in March, it will be ok, or earlier if covering with fleece, for potatoes.  If pots are emerged and get a good frost the tops will go black and die.

PS - That is 9 deg at around 10cm below the surface.

Cawdor

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 20:01 »
Yes Cawdor I understand what you are saying, but I personally prefer the less scientific approach (hate making gardening overly complicated :lol:) but like you say plant them in March you'll do just fine  :D

Deano

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 20:04 »
Good Friday  is the traditional day for planting early spuds around here with maincrop planted in March. Of course with the 'new' weather we have now that date has changed. I'll stick to it though i reckon, it's not far wrong. I'm growing all my maincrop spuds this year in builders sacks dotted around my patch. This gives me more space to plant other stuff. You can also start spuds in containers a bit earlier by putting them in the greenhouse.

As for the great 'to chit or not to chit' argument i will always chit my spuds because it's one of the first jobs after the horrible no gardening season and it makes me feel good!
It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

mushroom

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 20:06 »
Actually I have a couple of digi thermometers with a probe. They're useful devices anyway, might buy a couple more tomorrow (the one in the shed was originally for the beer fridge, very important, previous to that it was on the bedside table, the business end hanging outside through the window. They're not expensive at all, very useful if like most of us you're outdoorsy in all weathers)

It'd be a good idea to have grass temp, 2 cm, 5cm and 10cm temps. Right now I only know grass temp. So that's 3 more temp probes, and another or the beer fridge (very important)  :wink:

yeah I know it's kind of manic/OCD but i like this kind of thing :D

xx
Potato planting query...

Started by Arnfields on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 16:12
by Arnfields
xx
soil drainage query

Started by drypulse on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 15:57
by drypulse
xx
Soil Conditioner query

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 10:56
by eeedowls
xx
Query about strawberries grown in soil

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 10:35
by 8doubles

Page created in 1.007 seconds with 36 queries.