Pelleted chicken manure

• 4 Replies

pottylotty1

Pelleted chicken manure
« on: March 06, 2017, 22:30 »
I decided to put some chicken manure on the plot as an early spring dressing. Is there anything that doesn't like manure apart from carrots?

viettaclark

Re: Pelleted chicken manure
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 13:35 »
 Parsnips? I believe animal manure and even compost can cause malformed roots either due to richness or texture or both.
Chicken pellets are brilliant but very rich......
I don't manure my roots beds but the previous years crop of whatever (depends on rotation) is manured/composted so the earth gets a feed every 2 years.
Carrots and parsnips need little feeding.....I've seen them grown in sand and multipurpose compost!!
Make sure your roots beds are stone free to prevent weird shapes unless of course you want them! :D

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 20:07 »
A simple tip I was told by my oldest brother was that ALL root veg dont like manure i.e carrots, parsnips, beetroot, onions, garlic, turnips etc

pottylotty1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 22:11 »
Ok cheers guys. I will be growing some beetroot and onions so many thanks for you advice. Guess my potato beds are the only ones I can manure at present.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 08:19 »
Pelleted chicken manure is a fertiliser and it breaks down in the rain very quickly.  There is no problem with sprinkling on the soil surface of areas where you are growing root crops, just bear in mind that it may get in the way of seeds germinating when it first goes on. 

I use it a lot as a spring dressing to boost nitrogen levels after a wet winter.  Beetroot and onions both like it  :)

It doesn't do the same job as digging manure or compost into the soil.  That adds organic matter which improves soil structure, as well as adding nutrients, but lumps of either can cause root crops to fork.

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Chicken Manure

Started by devon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 07:38
by Christine
xx
chicken manure

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2007, 14:28
by WG.
xx
chicken manure

Started by johnwoots on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:07
by johnwoots

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 31 queries.