chickpea

• 7 Replies

harry

chickpea
« on: February 11, 2017, 10:27 »
A friend of mine wants me to grow chickpea plants but I don't know where to get the seeds or if you can grow them in this country. :wacko: :)
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

spadework

Re: chickpea
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:39 »
I haven't tried growing them but they are definitely one of those on the list of "crops to try before you die"  :nowink:

James Wong suggests growing them as a substitute for endamame.

http://homegrown-revolution.co.uk/savoury-fruit/chickpea-edamame/

I would suggest getting a packet of dried chick peas from the supermarket to grow.

James Wong suggests a variety called "principe"

You can get them from Chiltern Seeds and Seeds Of Italy (principe means prince in Italian) ;)

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1378b_chick_pea_principe_seeds

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/Chick_Pea_Principe_Cicer_arietinum/p1834925_13318152.aspx

Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

:)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:42 by spadework »

harry

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 13:34 »
Thanks for the help.
I'll buy a pack in the supermarket and see how I go with them. I usually germinate my peas in a small bag of compost before planting in pots and growing on. I'll try same method with chickpeas. :D

harry

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 15:20 »
I just bought a bag of dried chick peas from Tesco. Don't know what sort they are, it says imported from Canada on the bag. Will post on here to let you know how I get on. 8) :D :wub:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 16:11 »
I grew some last year... sowed in modules three to a space (3ins modules) and planted out once frosts were past. Despite a rabbit attack that cut them all down to three inches mid Summer e had a small crop -- 2 per pod but they are nice to eat green really, pod and all
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 18:57 »
Am growing some as this year's challenge. Am not hugely hopeful like most of my challenges, but worth a punt. I have sprouted chickpeas at home for many a long year in the same way people sprout mung beans, alfalfa etc.  Great raw crunch with a bit of green if you give them 3 weeks. Tend to use Riverford these days, but all the supermarket ones are just as fertile. Looking forward to the green raw thing as a delicacy rather than a staple crop, but one never knows.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:20 »
Am growing some as this year's challenge. Am not hugely hopeful like most of my challenges, but worth a punt. I have sprouted chickpeas at home for many a long year in the same way people sprout mung beans, alfalfa etc.  Great raw crunch with a bit of green if you give them 3 weeks. Tend to use Riverford these days, but all the supermarket ones are just as fertile. Looking forward to the green raw thing as a delicacy rather than a staple crop, but one never knows.

You would need a lot of plants to be self sufficient in chickpeas but as a delicacy the green pods are worth a space for sure!

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36 »
Grabbed a handfull of chickpeas from the kitchen and put them on damp tissue to see if they would sprout ,  ten out of sixteen have half inch sprouts and have been potted.
Don't know how big the plants get but they can live in a two gallon bucket indoors if they show through ! :)

xx
Any veteran chickpea growers out there?

Started by debbiewilliams on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 17:10
by littlelisa

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 30 queries.