should i cover a bed once ive dug it?

• 3 Replies

eco-friendly

« on: January 25, 2008, 09:38 »
hi again thanx for your anwsers yeasterday, the plan at moment is im gonna start to double dig a bed this weekend which will almost deffinatley be for potatoes. the question is after digging it should i then cover it untill the potatoes are ready to go out?
for thousands of years men and women managed to grow fruit and veg for thier families without petrol strimmers,rotovaters,plastic sheets,cars or round-up.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:58 »
If you leave the roughly dug soil uncovered then any frosts will break it up for you. Covering it will prevent weed growth but if you can I would cover the dug soil with a layer of horse manure/ garden compost and let the worms incorporate it all into the ground for you. Growth of weeds will be affected by temperature but early spuds should go in before weeds are too much of a problem. Also you can remove any obvious ones as you plant the spuds.

Cheers HH  :)
Keep digging

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:02 »
I personally would leave it open and let a bit of weather get to the soil you have just turned over - you might have pests in the soil too, so let the frost get at them.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

splodger

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:00 »
in the autumn - i dug over the bed that i plan to use for spuds - then covered it in muck etc - then i just left it

yesterday i dug it over (monster worms in there  :lol: ) took out the few weeds that were growing in the muck - and i then covered it in plastic

i did this last year too - as i intend to put a few spuds in earlier than normal - the plastic will help to prevent it from freezing if it gets very cold

xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy
xx
Am I right to cover..

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 21:35
by Ice

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 35 queries.