2016 - an odd season all round

• 2 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
2016 - an odd season all round
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:25 »
I know we have been talking about what a strange and frankly quite difficult season it was at times all year, but its continuing into my stored crops :wacko:

Like a lot of others, I've had onions sprouting in store and had to use them up fast, but my Tromba squashes are odd as well.  I've used 2 now and they have no seed cavity in them.  Trombas are long curly squash - think trombone - but they usually have a thicker end with seeds in.  Mine are solid squash.  This is not so bad as there is more to eat   :D, but good job I didn't need to save seeds.

The spaghetti squash seem normal, but the Buffy Ball are more seedy than they were last year.  There is still a fair layer of flesh inside, but the seedy bit in the middle is bigger.  Go figure   ::)  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: 2016 - an odd season all round
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:12 »
Weird!!
Our potatoes are just beginning to sprout so next week will see them being transferred, sacks and all, into the garage fridge: it is cold enough for the cordials to be out for a while, and the apples left can go to the top shelf. Left the spuds last year until they were soft before thinking of this, but there are plenty still n the sacks so don't want to waste them.

A few of the onions have grown green shoots but we are getting through them and keeping our fingers crossed.

The beetroot stored in compost has grown us some delicious looking saladings too!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
Re: 2016 - an odd season all round
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:23 »
Yes, a strange growing year. Dint get a summer cabbage until October, winger cabbages are just starting to show hearts but well of being ready. Sprouts are tiny. Some onions have rotted on the strings in my basement but most are fine, if smaller than normal.
Lets hope this frosty spell works in our favour.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
round up etc

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 14:21
by Sapphire
xx
Round Up

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 12:31
by Salmo
xx
round up

Started by chisel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 22:51
by chisel

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 29 queries.