Rockwool

• 3 Replies

LILLILEAF

Rockwool
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:29 »
Hi Has anyone used rockwool as a growing medium for either seeds or seedlings,is it any better than seed compost,any help would be great,as i am not sure of the results i would get before or if i buy any.Lillileaf

8doubles

Re: Rockwool
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33 »
I think rockwool is just a sponge to hold nutrients to grow veg for supermarkets !

We can grow better stuff than that ! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:33 »
Rockwool is a sterile and inert substance, so you do all feeding via the water you apply.  I have used it for cuttings in a commercial setting, but not for any gardening at home or for seeds. 

It is very easy to control the moisture content of the rockwool and you can see the root development very easily, so it may be worth using for some veg to get them going e.g. expensive seeds or precious ones where you only have a few.  You do end up planting the lot though and it is fairly indestructible, so you will end up digging up lumps of it.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 19:39 »

Some years ago I bought flower plants from some company (cannot remember whom) they arrived in rock wool cubes, plenty of roots, but did not grow on very well as I remember!

If it were any use, it would still be in use!

Commercial growers use it for GH crops, any time they show tomatoes grown in the largest greenhouse in England they mention it. (Jimmy Doherty I think is the culprit)
STOP, and smell the roses!

xx
growing seeds with rockwool

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 08:10
by Yabba

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 37 queries.