roosting bar refusal

• 8 Replies

mrsrobinson

roosting bar refusal
« on: November 24, 2016, 11:00 »
Hi All. I have an Eglu cube (as well as a more traditional wooden hen house) My hens are all rescued from slaughter. None of them will roost on the wooden bars in the wooden hen house and only 1 will roost on the plastic roosting 'grid' in the Eglu. When they were in the wooden hen house they slept on the shavings on the floor under the roosting bars or in the nesting box.
My flock of 10 has dwindled to 5 so I have got them all in the Eglu now. 1 or 2 sleep in the egg laying area. 1 on the plastic grid and the other 2 on the wood shavings in the other half of the cube - I took one plastic grid out. They all seem healthy etc. The newer hens are Hubbards - heavy and not so agile - who have curly toes and I don't think they can grip on anyway. The 2 older ones are Ranger (type) and are much lighter and agile with normal toes.
If it is cold they all sit on top of each other in the egg laying area!
If I put both grids in the cube they all get on the shavings in the egg laying area. If I close off the egg laying area there is a lot of fighting!!
I guess my question is ...is this lack of roosting behaviour because they were in barns and had to sleep on the floor?
I want to get some more hens next spring and I am thinking of getting POL not ex batts - they will want roosting bars won't they? So I can put them all in the wooden hen house which has 'proper' roosting bars.
Interested to hear your thoughts or if anyone has had similar issues.

MidlandBrewer

• Experienced Member
  • Homebrew Hero
Re: roosting bar refusal
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:22 »
Hi Mrs Robinson,

I know this is of no help at all but my sister has around 15 ex batt hens (bought from 3 seperate places) and they all roost on bars perfectly well.

(they do seem to scap alot more than my hens though).

Im looking to rescue some ex batt's in the spring when my new coop and (very) small paddock is complete.

Good luck with you hens!

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:23 »
What size are the wooden bars ?

5cm x 5cm with the corners rounded off is good.

I had to put a board in front of the nest box for a while to stop them roosting there and fouling .

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 13:47 »
Agree with 8doubles. Sometimes hens are provided with a round roosting bar such as a broom stale. Round is not good. When they have been in bed a while so are dopey you could try placing them on the roosting bar. After a few nights they should have got the hang of it. Some use the bar automatically some don't. If all is well in the house it is not the end of the world for them to sleep on the floor but they can be trained with a bit of persistence.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 15:00 »
Most of my roosts bars are round, though never as small as a broom handle...that would be difficult for any full size chicken to roost upon.  My flock prefer the round roosts made from natural saplings/branches to the 2x4 that is also in the coop, so round vs. flat isn't truly an issue. 

Could be your roosts aren't high enough off the floor to even warrant them using them when the floor and nest boxes are more comfy.  Normally a chicken will roost on a roost due to an instinct for safety rather than the comfort of it all, but if the roosts are low or level with nesting areas, there's really no point in them mounting up to them. 

mrsrobinson

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 13:21 »
Hi All and thank you for your feedback.
The roosting bars are 4cm wide x 3.5cm high with the top corners rounded - the top is also slightly ridged. They are 22cm above the floor of the hen house which is also raised off the ground on short legs. So the roost bars are a bit higher than the nesting box
The floor of the eglu is 70cm off the ground so the hens have a ramp up into the eglu so they very much go up to roost.
I will probably leave them as they as they seem quite happy and I muck them out every morning anyway - although they do not poop much in the night - they all rush out in the morning onto the grass for a mega poop.
Hopefully I will get it right for the new hens in the spring.

Beekissed

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 16:57 »
The coop may be up and the roost bars a little up from that, but the roost bars aren't even as tall as a standard chicken above the coop floor.  To a chicken, that's not any safer to roost upon than the floor, which is likely why they don't bother. 

When discussing roosts height, it's generally meant the height of the roosts above the nearest floor...to a bird, being high above where predators can walk/stand/jump is the issue.   They can't really reason that the coop is off the ground and it holds roosts inside it that make them equally far off the ground...all they can see is that the roosts aren't even a foot above the nearest solid surface where predators can be, so no point in getting up on them to sleep. 

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 10:04 »
Our current roost rungs are only about 4 inches off the coop floor.  Made them that way so can have a block of rungs that can be lifted out as one unit for cleaning, and good and sturdy so no bounce!  My hybrids are happy using it.
When I had ex batts we had one single high rung, some used it and others slept on the floor.  But tbh, I took the view that my ex batts have had enough of being controlled and if they preferred to sleep on the floor fair enough! :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 12:43 »
Where they choose to sleep often depends on how they were raised.  If a hen roosts and she raises the chicks, they will all learn to roost.  If they are incubator hatched and raised without a hen, they usually opt for the floor, but can switch to roosting once introduced to other hens that do use the roosting bars.

Nearly every coop on the market here in the UK will feature low roosting bars.  Most of mine have always used them without any problem, but as they get older, they sometimes switch to the floor.

Old boy Foggy is my current floor sleeper.  He was always one for the roosting bars - preferably securely squished between 2 of his favourite girlies.  He's got a bit of a rheumatism in one of his legs, so I make him a nice deep layer of wood shavings in his preferred corner, which is still next to where his favourite girly roosts.  He may be old, but he's still a player  :lol:

xx
roosting

Started by anna s on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 08:52
by joyfull
xx
roosting

Started by sjkjsm on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:45
by joyfull
xx
roosting

Started by cheeky chick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 07:34
by cheeky chick
xx
Roosting

Started by Heidi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 12:51
by Kym503

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 38 queries.