Leaves, leaves, leaves

• 2 Replies

Mum2mj

Leaves, leaves, leaves
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:59 »
After coming up with the brilliant idea of taking the leaves off the hands of my daughters school - I find myself with x7 tonne bags worth and more to come  ???

A large amount will be reserved for the chicken and duck pen in the hope it will stop it becoming a bog. I'll be making leaf mould too - any more uses for it?  I've a big overgrown plot at the moment and was thinking lasagne style beds but know leaves take awhile to rot down, any thoughts?  Many thanks

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Leaves, leaves, leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:27 »
I recently bought a garden blower/vacuum. I was delighted to discover that it chomps up the leaves on their way to the bag. So into the compost bins the resulting mulch will go. Monty mows his compost doesn't he. You could empty the leaves onto the ground and mow them if you haven't got a shredder. I will be clearing the pavement outside my house later on!🍁🍂🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍂

3759allen

Re: Leaves, leaves, leaves
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:54 »
lay them over your plot and whatever hasn't been taken down by the worms you can add to your leaf mould or compost heap.

it is better for storage and rotting down if you can shred them first. i have tried with my little shredder and they just come straight out as they went in. if you have a patch of grass somewhere your not bothered about or i guess concrete with no debris on then a couple times over with a mower is good.

could you be a bit cheeky and see if the school has an un used corner that you could hide a pile away, then use the pile in a years time to top up your leaf mulch pile as it will have decreased in size.

i assume you know it takes two years or more to rot down so ideally you'll need 2 places to rot them down (or one space divided in two).

xx
Leaves too soon

Started by lobot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 20:48
by Ice
xx
tea leaves

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:08
by viettaclark
xx
tea leaves

Started by oldsod on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 08:23
by barney rubble
xx
Can I use my leaves like this?

Started by She'sinthegarden on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 18:09
by She'sinthegarden

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 36 queries.