chilli... loads of them

• 11 Replies

jambop

chilli... loads of them
« on: September 29, 2016, 23:28 »
Have a bumper crop of chilli's this year. I grew three different varieties Curry chilli, arbol and Jalapeno.
Any way made some Indian style chilli pickle from a kilo of mixed curry and arbol. I have about two or three kilo's of Jalapeno's which I will make sliced sweet pickle with. But I don't know what to do with the rest of the curry and arbol chilli's. I think I will salt pickle some of the arbol type when they are completely red but to be honest I don't know what to do with the rest and I cannot give them away down here . It seems a shame that they will go to waste anything else that can be done with them? I will freeze a few for use in curries in the winter but there are loads of them left .

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: chilli... loads of them
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:23 »
Freeze them. They last well this way and only loose a bit of heat over time. When you use them cut them up whilst they are still frozen s they defrost very quickly.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:36 »
dry them (until really dry - you really don't want them to get mouldy in storage.  I hang mine up, preferably not in the kitchen where there is high humidity), just crush what you need on the day and use as you would any dry spice.  The Arbol and Curry chilli should dry well, the Jalapeno are perhaps too fleshy.  The thin fleshed chillies can be air dried but a food dehydrator will speed things up (you can also dry in an oven on a very very low heat - warm not hot, but not something I've tried)

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38 »
I'm v jealous - mine are still green.

I'd freeze as many as I had room for - they don't take up much space. 

Turn a load into chilli sauce.   

Store some in oil to make flavoured oils.

And the drying idea works really well - if you have somewhere with low humidity to do it.   

ptarmigan

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15 »
Agree with comments about drying them completely - I cut the stalk ends off (doesn't waste much and you're not going to eat the stalks anyway) to allow air to get inside the fruit, which helps prevent the odd one going mouldy inside whilst drying.

Will then keep well if stored dry - the most space-efficient way to store is to grind them to a powder - I use an old electric coffee grinder which seems to do a better job than the whizzer on my food processor.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 18:45 »
Sweet chilli jam / sauce?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 19:06 »
Dry them & make a wreath for Chxxxxxxs
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 17:31 »
Good year for me too.
My dryer has been doing 5 trays every week for the last month, see photos

Also been cold smoking, then drying see photo

A grow a lot, most gets dried then powdered, some are frozen, some are used in pickles and relish
chill.jpg
smoker.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jambop

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 19:47 »
Are those sliced scotch bonnets or habanero's ? I have made an Indian style pickle from a kilo of mixed arbol and curry chilli's I am going to dry some of them and freeze some and maybe some more pickles from the rest... another couple of kilos. I made some sliced Jalapeno pickles for a couple of kilos of jalapeno's ... did not grow any scotch bonnets this year... to be honest they are just too hot to be fun... although the salsa I made from them did eventually mellow a bit... I had removed all the seeds and placenta too god only knows how hot it would have been had I just chopped them whole. I like hot food but they were ridiculous :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 19:49 by jambop »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58 »
Are those sliced scotch bonnets or habanero's ? I have made an Indian style pickle from a kilo of mixed arbol and curry chilli's I am going to dry some of them and freeze some and maybe some more pickles from the rest... another couple of kilos. I made some sliced Jalapeno pickles for a couple of kilos of jalapeno's ... did not grow any scotch bonnets this year... to be honest they are just too hot to be fun... although the salsa I made from them did eventually mellow a bit... I had removed all the seeds and placenta too god only knows how hot it would have been had I just chopped them whole. I like hot food but they were ridiculous :)
Nope, these are Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion's, Habs are for whimps  ;) these are hitting a mere 1.4 million on the scoville  8)
The little red ones are Chinesse dragon Back, about the same heat level as Cayenne but far more productive, these are my main kitchen ones (cooking)
most of my super hots are ground to powder or frozen.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 17:56 »
Try a fermented Hot Sauce.

Mince up the red chillies and add half a tsp of salt for every cupful, and leave in a large jar with the lid on loosely for between a week and a month. Bubbles will form and when you have time rub the chillies through a fine sieve ... and that's it!

A tbp of whey added at the beginning speeds things up a bit (drained from plain yoghourt)

Obviously the heat depends on the chillies used
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Loads of pods!

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 21:46
by wighty
xx
Win some, loose some..or loads

Started by Togalosh on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 15:36
by evie2
xx
Loads of flowers ...

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 12:14
by JayG
xx
Cannellini Beans.........loads of....

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 20:00
by Alex 98

Page created in 0.753 seconds with 38 queries.