What have you grown too much (or too little of) this year?

• 25 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Re: What have you grown too much (or too little of) this year?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 19:39 »
Grapes in polytunnel. We're all sick of them

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 20:06 »
Grapes in polytunnel. We're all sick of them

Did they sweeten up? I tried a couple off the very small bunch on the tiny grape vine I bought DD the other week, she warned me they were sour, but when I tried them they were wonderful,just a couple of weeks later.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 21:22 »
I made the mistake of germinating my Florence Fennel seeds in one batch with the result that I had too many ready to eat simultaneously. Due to my inexperience, I left them in the ground and harvested each time I wanted one, but now the balance have gone to seed.  Such a shame, because they were wonderful! I'll know better next time.

I still have lots of potatoes in the ground. I dig up a plant at a time when I want potatoes, and they've been fantastic so far.

I didn't plant enough onions.

Jury's still out on my carrots, parsnips and leeks.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 21:45 »
[

Did they sweeten up?
Yes, they ended up sweet enough. They made us realise that we just enjoy the occasional grape and not twenty odd bunches of the damned things

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 14:18 »
French beans! But coming to the end now.

Aled

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 14:14 »
Runner beans, and I'm the only one who eats them! Next year I'm going to grow French Beans, at least my daughter likes them.
Cheers
Aled

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 16:06 »
So looking forward to a ready supply of tomatoes , then the damn blight , felt so disheartened :( :( :(!

On a positive note am pleased that the potatoes are living up to expectation.  Daughter likes chilled beetroot, which is rather nice as I have childhood memories of these and being careful not to get them on your clothes.

This year I have managed to grow some decent onions but am in the bracketed part of the topic subject, why did I not plant more??  Will be upping the planting next year.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

borderer1951

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 10:49 »
Cucumbers - I don't like them but my wife does.  We've given away over 20 this year from 2 indoor plants and my wife still had plenty in her sandwiches  plus 8 pots of cucumber relish and two large jars of pickled cucumbers.  We're down to 1 plant next year.

Too many French beans but too few caulis.

snow white

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 14:19 »
Just have to add this one.  Yard long beans.  Tried for two years to make them grow and was so excited that in my polytunnel they actually grew long beans.  BUT they are tasteless and stringy.  Yuck
 :(

Flowertot

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 23:57 »
French beans. As usual. My kids have eaten so many they are turning green.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 21:20 »
I've had a funny old year..... difficulty getting to the plot often enough, always a rush, fitting it in to my journeys up north from Monday to Friday.  Anything that could be munched was! I planted and replanted: all of the squash was eaten ( and re-eaten) and got 1 (small) Blue one and several Jack be Little ( I think). 1 solitary yellow courgette and several cucumber plants ( Ruby Wallace). Onions from seed - look lovely but only about 6 (from 50?) survived.  Beetroot were good - but how many can you eat or store?  Strawberries and apples were (as always) good.  Coming into the autumn and winter I have..... Brussels..... leeks..... PSB.... and all year round caulis on the go and looking good. 

Star performers were the outdoor tomatoes: Cyril's Choice ( lovely colour and uniform size, plenty of trusses and good taste)  I'll be growing them again!  Kellogg's breakfast, nice when you get a good one but not consistent in producing and very late (okay they are large) in ripening.  Tigerella produced HUNDREDS of fruit but I was not that impressed by the taste - most have ended up in sauce.  Thoroughly enjoyed the tiny fruits of Petit Moneau and lots of fruit from 3 plants. Still waiting for the Black Russian to ripen properly but the few that have are a nice taste and so far there seem quite a few fruit on the vine.  We usually get Blight by the 1st week of September but this year have escaped all sign of it, bit of mould and  sogginess on fruit that are not in the air but fingers crossed, this might be the year of Blight Free!  tomatoes in the greenhouse had a very metallic taste to them - think it may have been either the compost they were in or the watering/lack of watering.

My husband would agree - he sighs heavily every time I come home with more tomatoes - but I would be very happy to have as good a harvest as we have had this year, it has made my work seem worthwhile!

xx
The best new thing that you have grown this year

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 04, 2019, 13:34
by Longshanks
xx
Which potato varieties have you grown this year - 2011?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

83 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 22:50
by hanssg
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake
question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 37 queries.