Best beefsteak tomato variety?

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Best beefsteak tomato variety?
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:41 »
This is the second year I've been growing Marmande beefsteak tomatoes in the GH, and although they are cropping well I find the flavour quite disappointing. I realise that the balance between tomato flavour, sweetness and acidity is largely a matter of personal preference, but for me at least this variety doesn't have much of any of those.

I've noted Solway cropper's post in the 'best ever year for greenhouse tomatoes' thread praising the flavour (and size :ohmy:) of 'Pineapple' (http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124225.msg1459077#msg1459077) but wondered whether any members have further recommendations, including whether 'Super Marmande' is better flavoured than the standard variety.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

Re: Best beefsteak tomato variety?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:09 »
I have tried quite a few different beefsteak varieties but always come back to Costoluto Fieorentino.

Good size and lovely flavour !

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 11:06 »

You cannot beat "Brandywine" and less so "Apricot Brandywine"

Cheers,  Tony. :D
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

lettice

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 11:30 »
I save my seeds for Marmande now, but they were originally Mr Fothergills and they taste delicious.
There are many Marmande varieties that just get categorized as Marmande. I have swapped some with others and was unimpressed by the taste of some they called Marmande.

Mine always produce a great crop every year.
Picked three this morning and still loads waiting to ripen.

2016-09-03 11.03.13 (600 x 600).jpg
2016-09-03 11.05.25 (600 x 600).jpg

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 12:13 »
I've tried many but have yet to find one to beat Black Krim. Out of this year's contenders Jersey Devil will be on my must grow list from now on. It's quite sweet and very meaty with few seeds - delicious sliced onto toast for breakfast!

edited to add pic of Jersey Devil
Jersey Devil.jpg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:23 by Mr Dog »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 14:09 »
I've got Brandy Boy and Brandywine. They're OK but nothing like as flavoursome as my other standard-sized tomatoes, the best of which is Tigrella

lettice

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 16:09 »
I've tried many but have yet to find one to beat Black Krim. Out of this year's contenders Jersey Devil will be on my must grow list from now on. It's quite sweet and very meaty with few seeds - delicious sliced onto toast for breakfast!

Think the name Jersey Devil sounds more like a chilli than a tomato. They should have called it a Giant San Marzano. That is what it looks like.
Still that's an impressive size. Do they grow alone or in a bunch like San Marzano?
Here is how my San Marzano look in a bunch;

2016-09-03 16.02.15 (600 x 600).jpg
2016-09-03 16.02.00 (600 x 600).jpg
2016-09-03 16.01.51 (600 x 600).jpg
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 17:25 by lettice »

lettice

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 16:27 »
Often see a lot of seed packets on the French Markets in St Malo that have Black Krim.
Might grab some if you think they are worth it.
I'm sure the deep colour is its only 'off putting' to many.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 17:26 by lettice »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 17:27 »
Lettice, those toms with the nobble on the end look just like some of my Cornue Des Andes  :lol:

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 18:08 »
Big Red F1 have always done well and taste delicious in my greenhouse, although they are very big and you tend to spend lots of time devising ways of supporting them to ensure the truss doesnt snap off under the weight.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 21:45 »

Think the name Jersey Devil sounds more like a chilli than a tomato. They should have called it a Giant San Marzano. That is what it looks like.
Still that's an impressive size. Do they grow alone or in a bunch like San Marzano?
Here is how my San Marzano look in a bunch;

They're growing singly (about 10 in total) on my one plant. My neighbour asked me the other week what the odd looking pepper plants I was growing were!

PS that's not actually one of my fruits but they are that size.

Headgardener22

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 20:47 »
My favourite for many years has been Summer Cider. Its an apricot coloured tomato and you get about 12 x 500g tomatoes on a plant. They're late (I haven't picked any yet this year they're just starting to ripen).

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 22:08 »
Burpee's Jubilee and Greek are my favourite beefsteak varieties.

solway cropper

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 21:28 »
I'm now slicing 'Pink Brandywine' and they are as good as 'Pineapple. Firm flesh and not too many seeds although the flavour is perhaps not as good as some but certainly better than standard supermarket toms. There is, of course, the problem of blossom end rot which always seems worse on beefsteak varieties but I will certainly grow those two varieties again. Some of the heavily-ribbed varieties I find are even more prone to BER than the smoother beefsteaks.

Beekissed

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 21:58 »
Brandywine is still considered the tops in flavor for beefsteak over here in the US and I would have to agree.  A close second would be the German Stripey...very sweet but not too sweet to lose the tomato flavor.  Mortgage Lifter is another great, flavorful beefsteak. 

I grew Pruden's Purple this year and was not overly impressed with the flavor...it wasn't bad but it wasn't a Brandywine. 

A lot of the flavor of the tomato also comes from what it's being fed and how much moisture it's gotten during the season.  Sweetest Brandywines I ever grew were grown almost entirely in aged horse manure. 

xx
beefsteak tomato flowers

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:55
by digalotty
xx
Beefsteak tomato side shoots

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 23:06
by muntjac
clip
Tomato Variety Help

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 13:55
by CSChris89
xx
Tomato variety

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 10:09
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 54 queries.