Anti Broody Cage

• 5 Replies

Flowerpower136

Anti Broody Cage
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:08 »
Following last weeks traumatic introduction to living with a broody hen, I thought you might like to see the anti broody cage that I managed to frantically cobble together.  Hubby has just had hand surgery so I was on my own! :unsure:
The cage floor is a combination of slats and weld mesh and fixed about 6 inches above ground level to allow air to circulate. Onduline end flaps screwed to the wooden base and wired to the weld mesh arc.  One folding down as steps/ramp.  No roof, but that part of our run has a roof, so she was never at risk of getting rained on.
Very pleased to report that it worked, and after 3 days and nights of airing her nether regions, Speckle is none the worse for the experience and back to her normal cheerful chooky self.  :D
And, turns out I've created a des res.  When I opened up to let Speckle out yesterday afternoon, poor chook was nearly crushed in the rush as the other 7 all zoomed in to check it out!  They love it!
IMG_0794_zpsvlmxmsxk.jpg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:18 by Flowerpower136 »

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Anti Broody Cage
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 21:41 »
I don't know much aobu these things but I turned a hamster cage upside down and perched it on four bricks!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 22:04 »
That looks good!  I used to use a dog cage for our girls if they went broody.  Minus the dog of course!  ;) ;)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 22:14 »
The dog carrier I have is solid plastic with vent slits, so wouldn't do the job. To dark and cosy, she'd have been happy to brood away to hearts content.
The other cage that I bought for the purpose was no use. The gaps were too big. She was pushing her head through and I feared would hurt herself.
Necessity is mother of invention they say!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 21:40 »
The dog carrier I have is solid plastic with vent slits, so wouldn't do the job. To dark and cosy, she'd have been happy to brood away to hearts content.
The other cage that I bought for the purpose was no use. The gaps were too big. She was pushing her head through and I feared would hurt herself.
Necessity is mother of invention they say!

It certainly is!  Our dog cage, which I may add was never used for a dog, only for chickens as it was given to me, is all metal and has a solid plastic tray in the bottom, so was ideal for broody hens.  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 19:45 »
Completely back to normal and laying again! Yay!  Live and learn, and over another chook hurdle. Starting to feel like I know what I'm doing!😃

xx
Broody cage advice please.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 14:07
by JaK
xx
Suitable broody cage?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 13:08
by Casey76
xx
Anti-inflammatory gel

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 22:34
by chickenlicken
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 36 queries.