Leek forming seed heads

• 2 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Leek forming seed heads
« on: August 12, 2016, 13:14 »
I've been growing leek for as long as I can remember. Always same variety (Musselburgh) and same routine. Start off in heated propagator in April and plant out in June into well manured soil with a sprinkling of Growmore and pasture fertiliser every month.
For the first time ever in my patch, they are developing seed-heads in early August. (I'm just snapping of the seed-heads and leaving them in place.)
Couple of questions: Why are they seeding so soon? They normally don't seed until the following spring, and will they carry on growing in size despite seed-head removal?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Leek forming seed heads
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 13:57 »
Mine have sometimes done that in the past - it's usually put down to stress of some sort, which this year could be drought or periods of too much heat 'shocking' them into premature flowering.

They will continue to grow if you take the seed heads off but there will be a rather tough stalk running down the middle of each leek - most people would advise slitting them open and removing it before cooking, but I leave them there and treat it as an interesting texture variation!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JoshP

Re: Leek forming seed heads
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 21:40 »
The seed heads or 'scapes' are very tasty stir fried!

xx
Del oro crisp head lettuce/ not forming heads

Started by Alzera on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 15:12
by Alzera
xx
Garlic - seed heads - what do I do with them

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 16:19
by tosca100
xx
elephant garlic getting seed heads - what to do?

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 17:46
by Dave NE
xx
Nipping onion seed heads off

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 15:46
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.787 seconds with 29 queries.