Damsons

• 6 Replies

Flowertot

Damsons
« on: August 07, 2016, 23:16 »
Our garden has an old damson tree and the birds love the fruit. We have lived here for 2 years now and I would like to pick them and try making jam. They are dark now - but how do I know if they're ripe? Do they go soft or should I just pick them now (before the birds do)?

snow white

Re: Damsons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:23 »
Try one!

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 13:52 »
The don't go really soft but there should be some give in them. If you hold the fruit and give them a pull and a twist they should come away from the tree with very little effort. If you have to yank them off or the fruit spurs come with them they're not ready.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 21:09 »
I would expect them to be firm, nice and dark with a slight blue bloom on them when ready. It is possibly a little early but they will always be a little sour to the taste when raw.

Up in Scotland we don't see the local farmers market damsons until early September but the English ones are often in the Fruiterers by late August.

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 21:26 »
Thanks all. I have checked them closely and they are mostly dark but with still a little green on the side of the fruit away from the sun. I will leave them a tad longer.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 22:14 »
Sounds like it is a bit early for them. I have one damson here that is ready now and they are a lovely, sweet, big damson. All the other damsons round here won't be ready for another month so it can really depend on the tree. A good guide is if you have seen any naturally dropped fruit. If so they are close, or ready.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 19:14 »

I shouldn't worry about birdy bites, the temperature of boiling jam will knock any bugs on the head!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll soon have to toddle down the lane and check our supply.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

clip
Damsons

Started by Fletch24 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2022, 12:20
by mumofstig
xx
Damsons

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 11:51
by codheadred
xx
Damsons

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post December 04, 2007, 18:39
by gobs
xx
No damsons

Started by Rooba on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2012, 13:24
by archibtbm

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 36 queries.