water softener

• 8 Replies

ronfid

water softener
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:11 »
Hi.This is my first post and I will be grateful for ANY help. My daughter has a large garden and when I retired kindly let me have a large plot to grow veg which I have done for the last 4 years. My knowledge was very limited but most things grew at first.
Then the family had a water softener installed and I was unaware that it also included the outside tap so for the past 3 years I have been watering with artificially softened water!!
I cannot change the system and now almost everything except potatoes and runner beans die.
It may not be the water but nothing else has changed.
I always dig in my own compost but this could be making things worse.
The plot had not been used for veg before I started.
Will digging in horse manure help?
Sorry for the long post.
Ron

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: water softener
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32 »
Welcome to the forum  :)
I've moved you question into the GYO part of the forum so more people will see it.

I think you'd be best to only use collected rainwater on your garden in future. Is there a downpipe from the roof that you could add a water diverter to, so you can keep a water butt full?
Over winter rainfall should be enough to wash away any salt left in the topsoil. Then make a fresh start in early Spring, when you could dig in some well rotted manure to revitalize the soil. Blood fish and bone, as a general fertilizer, would also help bring the soil up to scratch for sowing and planting.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 14:34 »
Hi Ronfid,

Unfortunately, most water softeners use salt to 'soften' the water, and a small amount will remain in the water.  Can you re-plumb the outside tap to take the water before it gets to the softener?

Mags
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

ronfid

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 15:02 »
Thanks mumofstig for moving me into GYO -  a newbie error.
I can put a water butt in which does make sense and also dig in manure but I can't re-plumb the tap as my daughter has just had a new kitchen fitted! I guess it is what it is and I'll see what happens next year.
Thanks very much for the advice.
Ron

snow white

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 15:29 »
Query with a plumber about the problem.  Even with a new kitchen, under the kitchen sink are a lot of pipes.  One of them should be a fresh water pipe.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 16:04 »
You can get self cutting taps (normally used for washing machines) that could be fitted to the supply pipe before the filter/softener. a flexi pipe will connect to this and an outside tap.
May the fork be with you

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 17:49 »
Hi Ronfid,

Unfortunately, most water softeners use salt to 'soften' the water, and a small amount will remain in the water.  Can you re-plumb the outside tap to take the water before it gets to the softener?

Mags
We had a water softener installed and the plumber bypassed the outside tap for me. So now, when I do use the hose, (which isn't very often) it's ordinary water. So good idea Auntiemogs

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 00:16 »
We have a water softener (salt bricks) and my wife uses the water on all our house plants. Never had a problem.

ronfid

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 10:03 »
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. It is possible that the water softener isn't the problem but the RHS say not to use softened water but it is interesting that not all plants are affected. If it was my house I would bypass the softener but I can't so I will do a soil test - put in a water butt and fill my daughters driveway with a load of manure!!
Happy digging.
Cheers
Ron

xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig
xx
WATER shortage - tips for saving / harvesting water please

Started by Cr78 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:52
by mumofstig
xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
Water butt water, is it ok for a greenhouse

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 21:02
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 30 queries.