Chilli plant not setting fruit

• 6 Replies

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Chilli plant not setting fruit
« on: July 28, 2016, 21:32 »
My new chilli plant isn't setting any fruit  :(.  It's growing outdoors in a  pot in a sheltered spot, and flowering, so I thought that insects would pollinate it, but all the flowers so far have just dropped off. When I went to give a hand with a paintbrush, I couldn't find any pollen in the flowers. Can anyone offer any advice? My previous chilli plant performed well for 4 years in the same spot.

G&R

Dr_Pepper

• Good Life Horticulture
Re: Chilli plant not setting fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:40 »
chillies and peppers don't generally need insects to pollinate them so no worries on that front. I'm guessing it's a climate+nutrition related issue so I totally agree on the feeding front if it's not had any supplementary food already - what compost is it in by the way?. Do you know which variety it is? I'm growing a few different chillies in a polytunnel and one (Lemon Drop) only really started setting fruit around 3 weeks ago. Also in a pot flowers may abort if the compost is getting too dry.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 15:09 »
Half of my chilli plants never got any higher than 6 inches. let alone having fruit!   :( :(

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 15:52 »
I understand that chillies/peppers protect themselves in hot dry conditions by dropping flowers or otherwise not producing fruit which would place additional stress on the plants while such conditions prevail. A return to normal setting of fruit on resumption of better weather. I deduce from this that while peppers thrive on heat it certainly needs to be balanced with adequate nutrition and irrigation.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 17:55 »
chillies and peppers don't generally need insects to pollinate them so no worries on that front. I'm guessing it's a climate+nutrition related issue so I totally agree on the feeding front if it's not had any supplementary food already - what compost is it in by the way?. Do you know which variety it is? I'm growing a few different chillies in a polytunnel and one (Lemon Drop) only really started setting fruit around 3 weeks ago. Also in a pot flowers may abort if the compost is getting too dry.

It's growing in coir compost, to which I added a handful of bonemeal. I started supplementary feeding with tomato food at the same time as the tomato plants (which are in the same compost & pots, and are covered in fruit). It's about 18 inches high. I don't think it's drying out, because I top up the saucer regularly. Variety I'm not sure now, it was a mild variety bought in Spring from a large diy store.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 19:05 »
A quick update - the latest flowers have just set fruit, and the chillis are starting to develop!

The flowers have pollen visible in them now too.

It must be a late variety, as suggested. 

Thanks all for your advice.  I'm not sure what the correct symbol is for being pleased with chillis, is it the normal  :)  or is it the fiery tongue  :tongue2:  ?

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 20:01 »
I keep the flowers moist with a sprayer and plain water. That seems to have kept them fruiting reasonably well, in for a bumper harvest.

xx
Redcurrants setting fruit?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 11:48
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
Strawberries setting fruit !

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 22:31
by AnneB
xx
Tomatoes setting fruit

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 07:36
by corndolly
xx
Tomato fruit not setting

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2015, 19:23
by ghost61

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 36 queries.