Hi everyone! Would love some newbie advice if possible?

• 15 Replies

Jaberwalky

Hi Everyone

So a few weeks back I was fortunate enough to be offered the most beautiful 4.5 pole allotment plot about 15 minutes from my house. I feel like I've really lucked out with it's placement, soil quality and the most friendly neighbours I could hope for.

My first couple of weeks were written off due to holiday and sickness so this past week was my first chance to get in there and do "stuff"... Which for the first few hours basically entailed walking around shaking my head and sighing... But from Sunday onwards I've been turning over soil and am proud to say that the whole plot is almost done.

My problem is... The friendly neighbours are split on opinion. Half have been very encouraging and told me to get a patch ready for some late crops (which after all this hard work is really what I had hoped to do), but the other half have been quite discouraging. The culmination tonight was a longstanding allotment holder approaching me to ask why I was wasting my time as there is no chance I'll be planting this year.

I'm loving the clearing process so if the general consensus is that nothing's going to happen this year I've had a fantastic workout and achieved a brilliant tan... But what are your thoughts?

Have I missed something regarding soil preparation that could add weeks to the process?
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to further prepare the soil for quick cultivation this year?
What could I potentially plant at the beginning of August?

Sorry it's such a long post, I'm just loving every moment on the allotment and want to make the most of all this hard work. :)

Thanks
Paul

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hi everyone! Would love some newbie advice if possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:54 »
Hi Jaberwalky and welcome! Sounds like you have made a really good start with your plot!

There are lots of things you can plant/sow still, with baby plants in Garden Centres and seed sales underway too. I am sure others will add to this list, but for starters there are all the winter brassicas (cabbage family) - winter cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli, sprouts, various kales, pak coi  etc - as well as lettuces galore of all different colours. Autumn planting Onion sets and garlic will be available in about six weeks, so leave them a space, and there are even seed potatoes around to give you a small late Autumn crop. Seeds of radish, salad mix, turnip are easy and there is just time for a last sowing of French beans too.

Just remember to cover your brassicas with netting to keep white butterflies off as they will lay eggs on your plants. Debris netting is cheap, and "butterfly netting" has sufficiently small holes to keep them out (less than half an inch holes needed) I use debris netting until the start of winter as there is a new pest around, a very small moth, causing some issues.

And if you would like some flowers, check out seed packets to see what can be sown now --- there are a lot!!

So those old boys saying it is all too late are really missing out !!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:08 »
Hi Jaberwalky and welcome!

As Sunny says, all those good things are to look forward to in the next couple of months!

I'd also pop in a few carrots as well, as they'll be ready by November! Net them with fleece or tight mesh though, in case the old carrot flies descend...

And don't forget a few soft fruit bushes will give you stuff like blackcurrants, which you just can't buy these days!

Beware the 'knowledge' of old boys - the best thing to do is ignore their doom-laden comments, read more here, and you'll be fine!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13 »
Hi and welcome  :) 

I'm sure you will find we are more in tune with your positive plot neighbours.  We are not discouraging in the slightest, as you have already seen  :)

Knoll

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 16:01 »
Welcome, I'm new too!

I too have very friendly people come up to me while I am working my overgrown mess! The problem is the advice is always different, I guess you need to make your own mind up! If the plot is sorted and ready to plant then I would certainly get to it.

Realistically mine won't be so I am concentrating on being prepared for next year!

I sometimes feel rotten when someone takes time to explain what they would do only for me to do something different! But even though most are old hands they all do things differently. And without using the other persons method their successful method isn't always the best!

Forums like these give a more majority view on decisions!

snow white

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 18:03 »
Its the old adage, listen to everyone, take what you deem important, and then do as you think fit.  If you make a mistake you learn from it and move on.  I loved the fact that an allotment is one big experiment.  Try different things, new veggies, new ways of growing and cultivating.  Enjoy the process.  It is your plot to do as you want.  Thank them kindly for their advise and go your own way.  Everyone comments on my plot saying that they wouldn't do it my way.  Do you know what? My way works for me.  :tongue2:  :D   

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 20:12 »
Welcome Jabberwalky.....Loads of good advice already!!! We are amazing!

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 20:27 »
Hi Jabberwocky!
Welcome!  I would only add to the above advice that folks like the RHS are always doing tests and proving that the old ways are not necessarily the best (chopping bits of leeks when planting is one example) and new research is ongoing.  Apart from this wonderful site that has helped me enormously the net is a great tool though you still find conflicting advice there.  Just give what you fancy a go, the rewards are fantastic.  Enjoy!

Jaberwalky

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 14:32 »

Hi again...

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you for the support and advice. It's given me the strength to carry on and there hasn't been a day where I've not been down there weeding, smacking lumps of mud to smithereens and breaking the soil down to a questionable (but workable) tilth.

You've inspired me to plant all that I can and I'm hoping I can inspire some of the naysayers to make the most of this years opportunities!

So glad I joined this community. Will update you all later with any successes or challenges later in the year!

Take care. :)

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 14:43 »
Hi, Jaberwalky  (love the name by the way)
I started as a newbie to veggie growing this year and just like you I joined this wonderful forum for help and advice.
You won't go far wrong if you listen to the excellent advice that everyone shares so generously on here.  :D

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 16:12 »
Hi Jaberwalky,

I felt quite despondent a few weeks ago because everything I was planting got gobbled up by slugs and I had spare beds with nothing growing.  Go for the Autumn stuff, My PSB is now growing away as are cabbages, leeks and cauliflowers ( + weeds of course!).A lot of these will be on sale in garden centres and homebase/B&Q etc.  I would suggest choosing a few beds for your Autumn/over-wintering stuff and cover the rest over with black membrane (put down your compost etc to sit underneath it) that way you will have some food growing that will give you a thrill and when you start again in earnest next Spring you won't be needing to weed and clear but will find lovely crumbly stuff ready and waiting under the membrane.

Dody

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 14:17 »
Hi everyone - just joined the forum and felt I had to add my two penn'orth. I have also just acquired an allotment that the previous owner had regularly dug over then left to weeds, so I think i am in almost exactly the same position as Jaberwalky. 

I momentarily balked at the enormity of the task soon after I agreed to take on the plot but I got a great book from the library - 'How to Plant Your Allotment' by Caroline Foley - which understands such dilemmas. I can't offer growing advice, but one thing she did say which I intend to follow is - don't try to do everything at once. Ignore TV makeover shows and the Sunday supplements and go at a steady pace. The book even recommends devising a 2 to 4 year plan depending on the original state, gradually bring it into production as you go.

I'm hoping to finish digging over and leveling my plot this weekend then laying over weed membrane whilst I work out where the beds are going to go. I hope to get some brassicas in before the end of summer to at least get something started.

Sounds like you have your plot under control already anyway, so good luck and enjoy!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 15:53 »
Working at a steady pace and doing things bit by bit is great advice Dody  :)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting a plot.  I've just come back from mine and ordered some more brassica plants as I think I have room for a few extras and there was a nice mixed collection that are just the job.  They are not even been sent out for a week or two, so plenty of time yet  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 16:12 »
Always slow and easy......You're not going to get anything done if you do your back in!!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 18:47 »
Definitely pace yourself, but make sure that the untackled parts of the plot are kept under control somehow because if you allow seeding weeds to grow then you will probably get a warning letter for affecting your neighbours.

Also, make sure you're aware of what pace of progress is expected on your site.  Some places expect you to be under full cultivation within quite a short space of time; others are more relaxed if it's clear you're making slow and steady progress.  Just because a book suggests a 2-4 year plan doesn't mean that will cut the mustard if your site has a quicker timescale.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
xx
Newbie - advice please

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 21:22
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 14:44
by fletcherbaker

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 37 queries.