Diamond back moth

• 11 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Diamond back moth
« on: July 06, 2016, 17:23 »
Hi.  Have lately noticed my kale plants and also now my psb plants being eaten.  They've been netted for some time from cabbage whites so was disturbed to ding very small greenish/greyish caterpillars having there fill.  Heard diamond back moths mentioned on GQT coming here from Europe and having googled it they description fits exactly.  Assume they can get through butterfly netting.  Got some pyrethrum spray, hopefully will get on top of it but the little critters are very hard to spot.  Advise everyone to keep an eye out!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Diamond back moth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 18:04 »
Debris netting, which quite a few of us use, seems to keep them out.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=123709.msg1454588#msg1454588

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 18:55 »
I can vouch for the effectiveness of debris netting, but you have to make sure there are no grubs or adult moths underneath it or they are just in there having a holiday! The moths themselves are very small indeed, and likewise their larvae
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 18:56 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:23 »
Have used enviromesh before but it's very unwieldy to use on such a large area with the blue hoops.  Is debris netting any more pliable? Think I might just give up on tall brassicas at least..

ryetek

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 13:33 »
We are just down the road from you BumbleJo and have been hit by these caterpillars really badly. We are also putting it down to the diamondback moths. There was swarms of them a few weeks ago.

I don't like spraying but felt that there was no choice. According to the spray instructions you should only spray a maximum of twice on brassicas and we've done that. However there a still some caterpillars so it hasn't been 100% effective. However the caterpillars have been 100% effective at totally destroying our calabrese.

Hey oh!  >:(  :mad:  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 18:57 »
I understand that this moth is immune to pesticides, so you might find them ineffective. Good old soapy water might reduce the caterpillars a bit though.

Bumblejo, debris netting is relatively easy to use. We sewed two pieces together by hand to creat a section wide enough to use over taller brassicas. Here is what we have no (Obviously the green thing, not the fruit cage in the background lol!) The edges are weighted down by planks of wood.
DSCN6002 30.jpg

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 22:02 »
We are just down the road from you BumbleJo and have been hit by these caterpillars really badly. We are also putting it down to the diamondback moths. There was swarms of them a few weeks ago.

I don't like spraying but felt that there was no choice. According to the spray instructions you should only spray a maximum of twice on brassicas and we've done that. However there a still some caterpillars so it hasn't been 100% effective. However the caterpillars have been 100% effective at totally destroying our calabrese.

Hey oh!  >:(  :mad:  :(
Hi Ryetek, according to a BBC website, sprays containing pyrethrum are the only effective sprays.  Of course squashing the little blighters works but they are good at hiding and escaping when they drop on that fine thread aren't they?  Grrrr..

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 22:15 »

Bumblejo, debris netting is relatively easy to use. We sewed two pieces together by hand to creat a section wide enough to use over taller brassicas. Here is what we have no (Obviously the green thing, not the fruit cage in the background lol!) The edges are weighted down by planks of wood.
Thanks Sunshineband, that's impressive. How did you build the structure underneath?  May have to have a rethink for next year....

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19 »
It was really hard to get at them on the calabrese as they had got inbetween the florets. You can at least get at them on the other brassicas but as you say they are good at hiding (and there are hundrereds of them too). I may even try some soapy water as sunshineband suggested. Even if this just reduces the numbers then it's some kind of progress.

I too may have to have a re-think for next year and get some debris netting sorted! Pretty frustrating though but it's turning out to be one of those years.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 08:39 »

Thanks Sunshineband, that's impressive. How did you build the structure underneath?  May have to have a rethink for next year....

It is 8 metal poles from the sides of an old bunk bed, pushed about 30cm into the ground, with canes along the sides and crossways all held together with cable ties. I did have butterfly netting on it, and this will go back on for the Winter as the debris netting will be too wind resistant the structure might well sag to one side: our site has very high winds in the Winter. The long sides are two overlapping canes secured with, yes ... double helping of cable ties.
Here is a photo of it with the butterfly netting in place, so you can see the Heath Robinson style structure lol. (This is back in May so the plants are quite small)
DSCN5831 30.jpg

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 15:06 »
Thanks for the pic, it looks great.  Will have a go at that next time.  Wonder if anyone I know has got some bunk beds they don't want! We did actually use some of our own made of wood to build shelves in the shed a while back, There are so many ways to recycle stuff on an allotment.. :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 08:58 »
Thanks for the pic, it looks great.  Will have a go at that next time.  Wonder if anyone I know has got some bunk beds they don't want! We did actually use some of our own made of wood to build shelves in the shed a while back, There are so many ways to recycle stuff on an allotment.. :nowink:

There certainly are!  Fence pins work well as uprights too, as they can be driven a decent way into the ground, but make an enclosure a little short for PSB though. Even this one gets "extended" in the Winter by tall canes with bottles on the end of them to raise the netting at their end. Keeps the pigeons at bay too

xx
Pea moth

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 07:26
by Muddylou
thumbup
Pea moth

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 11:16
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
Pea Moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2024, 20:07
by Snow
xx
Pea Moth - net or no net???

Started by plotment26 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:13
by plotment26

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 30 queries.