What happened to all the slugs?

• 34 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What happened to all the slugs?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 20:28 »
I've got more (far too many) snails rather than slugs but not a shortage of either ...

Me too, Christine.

I hand picked some rather large and ambitious / greedy snails off my newly planted climbing beans last week  :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 20:48 »
Plenty of the blighters making holes in my strawberries!

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 22:51 »
They are all in Bradford!  They have eaten kohlrabi, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, lettuce, spring oions, leeks, asparagus, beetroot, beans, purple sprouting broccoli and have only been kept at bay from courgettes and squash by slug pellets.

The worst year for slugs since 2012 as far as I am concerned.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 08:07 »
2 weeks ago i was happy that i had no slug damage, but this week i have killed 100s that have chomped most of my runner bean plants. Having to start seeds off again.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

lettice

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 08:53 »
Think the dry weather here has stopped them appearing last few months. Very quite here for any slugs for over a month now.
But there were plenty in April here, but making good use of next years nematode bucket got rid of most of them.
The yeast traps did very well to capture at least 2/3 every night during that month, about ten of those around the plots.
One thing though have not seen so many snails about this year. They usually climb up the fences early morning, but not seen that happening.
Have a neighbour mind moaning about snails in his greenhouse that are really damaging his crops. He had loads of smaller and large ones all in the crevasses I noticed. Did he wash his greenhouse since last year, no, what a fool!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:55 by lettice »

madcat

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 09:53 »
And in all my pots!  I left 4 pots on a table outside overnight because .... oh long story ....  and they all had fortunately dying slugs in them in the morning!  >:(   How did they even know there was food up there????????????  The slug pellets cant be that attractive.   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 10:44 »
Plenty of the blighters making holes in my strawberries!
I went and picked some strawberries yesterday and over half were eaten by slugs. I've tried explaining to them that I am prepared to share but their definition of sharing is half of every strawberry whereas mine would be all of only half of the strawbs.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 14:55 »
One very large bucket full on its way to you. I hate to see anyone have a shortage
May the fork be with you

ptarmigan

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 16:27 »
Finally rained here after 2 weeks without any at all.  So I expect to find a full on Ibiza slug rave going on when I get up to the plot.  But up to now, zilch.

Chrysalis

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 19:30 »
The tour has reached Stafford. Even with nematodes and some pellets elsewhere there are hundreds!! Grr. :mad:

al78

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 21:14 »
Looks like it was too wet for them up north and they've headed south for some sunshine  :lol:

Ha ha, that would be an epic fail. The weather in the SE has been worse than the north quite frequently so far this year. June started off like November and after a few decent days, now have to put up with lakes on the road.
standing_water.jpg

al78

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 21:17 »
Plenty of slugs on my plot, maybe not as many as in previous years, but I do dig up a few when trying to get rid of the creeping buttercup. I put nematodes down in April and another dose last weekend so crops are hanging on at the moment although some of them have been nibbled.

annieanne49

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 21:52 »
Over run with slugs here doing my head in :(

lettice

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45 »
First significant rain here for a while yesterday afternoon, so did a half hours worth of torch, lift and rummage search last night and again this morning and no slugs about. Phew!
Really think for slugs that the nematodes is the answer, it sure does eliminate them. Certainly worked for me the last few years I've made my own.

Was talking to a friend near Canterbury and he says their gardens/allotments have started to be attacked by the large 'spanish' type slugs. He says they are 3-4 inches long and sometime bigger, a yellow/orange colour. They sound awful to me.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 08:23 »
Was talking to a friend near Canterbury and he says their gardens/allotments have started to be attacked by the large 'spanish' type slugs. He says they are 3-4 inches long and sometime bigger, a yellow/orange colour. They sound awful to me.

Yep, I've had virtually no surviving veggie plants in my front garden for the last 2 summers  :mad:

xx
Help - its happened!

Started by allotless on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 03:25
by JulesJ
xx
Help! What's happened to my squash?

Started by rainbow1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 22:14
by rainbow1
xx
What happened to my potatoes?

Started by violet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 21:03
by matron
xx
OOPPS What happened here?

Started by harding24 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 12:08
by Kathie

Page created in 0.741 seconds with 36 queries.