Onions and shallots failing - any idea why?

• 13 Replies

madcat

Onions and shallots failing - any idea why?
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:35 »
They were thriving happy onions, and then they started to go down.  :(  Now they are like this - pics below - and the shallots (about 3 feet away) are going the same way.  The runts and spares planted elsewhere are growing fine, so I don't think it can be an infection that came in with the bulbs - which came from 2 different sources anyway.  There are no maggots at the base.  When I cut one of the failed bulbs in half it was just rotting from the top (sorry, didn't think to photograph that).  There were potatoes here last year, so I am rotating the crops - it has been years since there were onions here.  The ground was manured with well rotted cow manure ...  the chinese cabbage and pak choi between the onions and the shallots are thriving so it isn't aminopyralid.

Any ideas?

20160605_194518.jpg
20160605_194545.jpg
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

BabbyAnn

Re: Onions and shallots failing - any idea why?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 16:14 »
puzzling - maybe some sort of nematode?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 19:22 »
I've got a couple gone like that. I planted them in the garden away from the others, because I did not have any other space for them, and they were doing well at first, then they started to deteriorate over 2 or 3 weeks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46 »
The maggots may not have reached the bulb yet. Try cutting open one of the bent over leaves to see if there is a little white onion fly maggot in there. They live in the leaves and ten travel on down to the bulb to pupate
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16 »
You are right - first leaf sliced and 2 maggots found.   :( :(  I thought that onion fly maggots were found under the bulb.  Every day a school day I suppose.  I've been looking up the life cycle and crying gently - bye bye onions and shallots for this year.  This afternoon I shall clear the lot in the hope that the garlic aren't yet infested.  Serious boohoo .... :( :( :( :( :(

Thinking about it, our plot neighbour had to give up mid last year with a back operation and it wasn't till May time that she accepted that it wasn't going to get right in a hurry and resigned her plot.  Can't blame her for a bad back but if she had even some flies and chances are that they will be around on allotments, then they would have gone full cycle .....  and the buzz to us very short.  And it was about mid may they started to show odd problems ....

Oh *"£$%^&*()!!!!!!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 17:44 »
If you take off every bent over leaf (they bend at the point the larva is feeding) you might get something yet! I did that two weeks ago and there are new leaves now growing. I am also going to apply a mixture of nematodes in the morning which is supposed to seek out and destroy onion fly larvae.

Good luck madcat. I feel your pain fer sure!!

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:20 »
The maggots may not have reached the bulb yet. Try cutting open one of the bent over leaves to see if there is a little white onion fly maggot in there. They live in the leaves and ten travel on down to the bulb to pupate

RHS advice says

"Onion fly can be distinguished from allium leaf-miner and leek moth as it feeds on roots rather then within the leaves."

So if you find grubs feeding in the leaves it is not onion fly.

The next thing you have to do is look at the grubs and see if they are maggots ( leaf miner) or caterpillars (leek moth. Maggots have no head or any legs. Caterpillars have a head and legs.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=885
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:22 by Salmo »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:18 »

RHS advice says

"Onion fly can be distinguished from allium leaf-miner and leek moth as it feeds on roots rather then within the leaves."

So if you find grubs feeding in the leaves it is not onion fly.

The next thing you have to do is look at the grubs and see if they are maggots ( leaf miner) or caterpillars (leek moth. Maggots have no head or any legs. Caterpillars have a head and legs.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=885

Thank you for that Salmo .... I got that wrong then! I have looked closely at the photo I have of the said grubs in my onions and I cannot see any head or legs as such. Having read the description of rows of white dots on the onions leaves, these must be Allium Leaf Miner affecting my crop. two generations so I shall be covering my Leeks with enviromesh  in August!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 14:08 by sunshineband »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 13:33 »
I get allium leaf miner now as well - never used to. More crops to cover - so frustrating!!

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 14:04 »
We seem to get more and more pests every year.  My allotment now looks like a tent city, and everything takes twice as long because of having to remove and reinstate nets every time I want to weed or pick crops.  I'd still rather grow my own, though, because at least I know what I'm eating.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 14:10 »
And even if there as a chemical to get rid of these pests, I would still use the nets as then yes, I know what I am eating too, jaydig!!

madcat

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 19:47 »
Ditto ....  I worried about the rabbits eating the tops, the pigeons pulling them up but now another thing to worry about.  I have sacrificed the onions and shallots and am hoping that the garlic is okay ....  but I worry.   :(  I'm also fretting about what to put in their place - not alliums obvs, or potato family for the rotation, wants to be something that needs a lot of hoeing to kill the maggots and pupae so not marrow or squash ...  I'm pondering.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 20:11 »
I have sacrificed the onions and shallots

That's a real shame, but not much else you could do  :(  Fingers crossed your garlic is OK.

What about lettuce or other salad leaves in the place of the onions?  If you stuck to quick cropping veg, you could keep the ground turning over and hopefully destroy as many of the horrible little beasties as possible.

madcat

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46 »
I thought about lettuce - and think that I can put them in where the shallots came out.  But when I suggested lettuce for all the area - lots of different sorts of lettuce for variety - I didn't get positive vibes.  We do have a lot of lettuce already and it doesn't go well with gravy.  ::)  So I think it will be different cabbages - which do.   :D

xx
Shallots & Onions

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:44
by IanYORK
question
Onions or Shallots?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 06:01
by paintedlady
xx
onions and shallots

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 12:06
by Salmo
xx
onions and shallots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 19:06
by jambop

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 37 queries.