Gooseberry Mildew...Advice Please

• 14 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
Gooseberry Mildew...Advice Please
« on: June 05, 2016, 17:38 »
For a few days now I have noticed that my gooseberry plant was starting to look a little moldy, then today one of the old guys on the plot pointed out that I had mildew.  He suggested fungicide to sort it out.  It is now looking back on the situation that I should have asked him a load more questions. 

Is fungicide the only option?
Will my plant produce fruit next year?
What more do I need to do?

Any help would be appreciated  :D :lol: ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Gooseberry Mildew...Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 17:41 »
I have one bush where the berries themselves appear mouldy and white. Is this what yours is like, YL?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 19:07 »
No it's just the leaves as there is no sign of any fruit, can't remember if it has flowered yet?

Will try and get a picture  :nowink:

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 21:45 »
Not that you are allowed to do it anymore but in the old days before all the bans people used to spray a weak milk solution to clear up mildew.  :)

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 23:16 »
This solution works well:

2.4 oz (70 grams) washing soda
1.6 oz (45 grams) soap flakes/soft soap powder
1 gallon (4.5 litres) water

Stir until mixed/dissolved then spray. Best to spray in April as the leaves open out then again in May but should help now, I'm going to spray some of my bushes tomorrow (have a few old varieties that need spraying each year but so worth it! Fruits are amazing). Let us know how you get on  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 23:21 by Middlesexbloke »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:36 »
This solution works well:

2.4 oz (70 grams) washing soda
1.6 oz (45 grams) soap flakes/soft soap powder
1 gallon (4.5 litres) water

Stir until mixed/dissolved then spray. Best to spray in April as the leaves open out then again in May but should help now, I'm going to spray some of my bushes tomorrow (have a few old varieties that need spraying each year but so worth it! Fruits are amazing). Let us know how you get on  :)

If you are using this as a "preventative/conditioner" there is nothing to restrict your use... as a "cure" of course, that is different and suggesting it would be against the policies of this site. Just thought I'd clarify this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:39 by sunshineband »

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 23:41 »

If you are using this as a "preventative/conditioner" there is nothing to restrict your use... as a "cure" of course, that is different and suggesting it would be against the policies of this site. Just thought I'd clarify this.
[/quote]

Definitely a preventative measure; not sure Gooseberry mildew is even curable?! All this mixture does is prevents the mildew gaining a foothold.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 23:47 »
Sunshineband, I have a gooseberry in a pot that only produces a couple of gooseberries... last year they dropped off and this year it looks like they are going powdery before dropping off!!!  >:(

I'm hoping it will be happier when I've moved and I can find it a nice spot in the garden to strech it's legs out!!  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 23:52 »

Does that mean if glyphosphate is banned we can use it as a weed preventative?    ;)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 20:29 »

Best to spray in April as the leaves open out then again in May but should help now, I'm going to spray some of my bushes tomorrow (have a few old varieties that need spraying each year but so worth it! Fruits are amazing). Let us know how you get on  :)

So is it safe to say there is no cure, but using this "may prevent" a further out break next year.  Would it be OK to use this solution now?

I have a old variety "Lancashire Lad" and I just want to learn how to get a good crop next year.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 22:03 »
Yes Yorkshire Lass, there's no 'cure' and the solution I suggested was a preventative measure, just to be clear. I've just sprayed my mildew-prone bushes; a couple already are quite badly affected but spraying now won't hurt I guess! What the liquid solution does is simply stop the mildew from gaining a foothold. Not sure if it'll clear up mildew already there but it'll stop it spreading. Any fruit that I've seen affected (few so far luckily) I pick off and discard. Gooseberry Mildew is from America so it's here to stay unfortunately, affecting older varieties. There are quite a few resistant types now but I don't think the flavour is as good. Swings and roundabouts lol! Hope you get a crop if not this year then next  :)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 09:27 »
Doubt I will get a crop this year, fingers crossed for next year.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 09:24 »
So I have sprayed a suggested, and I am starting to get new leaf growth.  Will that be susceptible to mildew?

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 13:55 »
Depends on the climate around the plants.

Mildew will tend to form in damp and warm conditions especially in still air. However plants are more susceptible to it if they are in a drought stressed state. Keep the plants well watered as that will help to avoid it. Allow plenty of air circulation around the plants.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27 »
So I have sprayed a suggested, and I am starting to get new leaf growth.  Will that be susceptible to mildew?

In a word, yes, but if you spray again then the new growth should be protected. I guess this is why so many of the old varieties have died out, as American mildew is a right pain! But get the spraying right and decent crops are easy enough to get. Also try to site your gooseberries somewhere fairly exposed, mildew hates wind.

xx
gooseberry mildew ?

Started by daveylamp on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 08:48
by BAK
xx
gooseberry xenia mildew

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2017, 11:18
by andyf75
xx
Gooseberry disease....poss mildew?

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 17:12
by DopeyAlex
xx
Advice on treatment for mildew please.

Started by Mother Earth on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 16:21
by camster_factor

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 36 queries.