Hailstorm !

• 7 Replies

jambop

Hailstorm !
« on: May 30, 2016, 13:14 »
Ok so we had a hailstorm of biblical nature on Saturday late afternoon. The hail was up to and inch an a half in dia and my poor veg patch got hammered. Long story short all the allium's have had the tops badly damaged and most of the tomatoes ,50 plants have been wrecked. I can replace the Tomatoes with bought plants but the Shallots onions and Garlic are more of a problem. They still have some leaf are the likely to grow on or is this unlikely? The potatoes took a pounding as well the were just at the flowering stage for some of them will they still make a crop? It was heart breaking top see a lovely garden undone by nature... but at least it is not my livelihood. I am hopeful that some of the plants will continue to grow but is it a waste of time?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 13:18 by jambop »

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
Re: Hailstorm !
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 17:37 »
Oh, poor you - that sounds so sad! And there's me worrying when it rains heavily on my little seedlings!

jambop

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 18:11 »
Well I am still hopeful that the shallots, onions and garlic will still grow on it is still early in the season so they may well do but I will have to replace a lot of the tomatoes. I may still be able to get some other onion transplants at the market on Thurs so here is hoping.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 20:47 »
The vagaries of gardening, Jambop. Sorry to hear about the damage to your potager (and quietly grateful that it didn't come through here quite as savagely ). There's more coming over the next few days though.
Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised at the rate of recovery. Are your thinking it was better than at harvest time?

Vas-y!
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:31 »
Aussie it was brutal and over in about five minutes! I am hopeful that the least damaged plants will still grow on and I will get something at the end of the summer. Most of the toms were very badly damaged so I will have to hope I can still get some at the market. The summer is still to come so have to remain optimistic and as you say better to happen now than just as the harvest time nears. Been very poor spring, cold wet and windy, over our way how has it been for you?

PS the roof of my car got hammered too!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42 »
My sympathies, here's a link to the hailstorm we suffered 4 years ago,wrote my car off, no end of damage to houses & cars. Still see some cars driving round damaged.
QSkoX1sGzsY
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22 »
Had my garden trashed by hail in June a few years ago , amazing how some shredded plants can recover and crop well !

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:48 »
Hailstorms are only to be expected in spring, but as gardeners, we're always flirting with the unknowns that weather brings upon us. Will it or won't it.... rain, shine, freeze, frost.... that's the gamble, isn't it? And we enjoy pitting our knowledge and experience against the uncertainties of nature.

Jambop, no damage here at all. In fact the consistent rain this past few days has been most appreciated after a very warm stretch. I'm heavily under mulch (the garden, that is) so watering is something i don't need to resort to for weeks on end except in instances of new plantings or sowings, and then only about twice until they get underway.

During May, I've been harvesting mangetout (Shiraz, Oregon Sugar Pod, Sweet Horizon), blette, epinard, salad (7 varieties), salad greens (mizuna, rocket, red frills), spring onions (white lisbon, ishikuri, feast), beetroot (3 var) coriander, parsley and other assoc herbs.

Tomatoes, aubergines, peppers all fruiting. Raspberries, shell peas, thornless blackberries all heading in the right direction. Brassicas under environmesh as insurance against the inevitable cabbage butterfly.

Succession planting well advanced but i'm leaving plantings light on during July and August, until the heat passes. Do you do similar?

Take heart that plants will recover. After all, they have well established rootballs to sustain them during their recovery.

Snowdrops, the hail looks horrendous!

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 36 queries.