I aint got no germination.

• 5 Replies

oakridge

I aint got no germination.
« on: May 15, 2016, 13:38 »
Apologies to that group of youngsters, The Rolling Stones.

Anyway, pretty well everything I sow comes up except legumes.  Very frustrating.  I have tried soaking the seed, chitting it, rubbing it and just shoving it in the ground or a seed tray, nothing seems to work well. 

Auntiemogs

Re: I aint got no germination.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 14:19 »
I chit mine in damp kitchen roll in a plastic container (runner beans I soak overnight first), but make a point of rinsing it off every day as it can easily start to fester. Then I put the sprouting seeds into 20 cell trays, and water VERY sparingly using an old water bottle with a nozzle.  It's very easy to overwater at this point, and the seed will rot off......
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 16:06 »
Thank you Auntiemogs it seems very likely that I am overwatering.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 16:28 »
Peas chit very easily but the only reason for doing so IMHO  would be to try to get them off to a flying start to reduce the chances of mice or slug attack (pigeons come later!)

I find white runner beans very rot-prone, and although I soak them first it's only for a couple of hours, and like AuntieMogs I rinse (and then inspect) them every day whilst chitting to make sure none of them is going to rot rather than germinate. In a warm place those which are going to make it usually have done so in as little as 3 days.

Sounds like a faff but it seems necessary with these white ones (never used to have problems sowing the purple ones without chitting indoors.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 16:55 »
If you soak runner beans they first go wrinkled and then swell. Overnight is about the right time, too much and some of them will burst their skins. They do not need any more water to germinate, just put them into damp compost or the soil. Do not water the compost unless it is very dry.

Peas also respond to soaking but just for a couple of hours. More than that and they just take in water and burst their skins (just as they do if you get heavy rain immediately after sowing in the ground, or water too heavily)

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 19:42 »
Very helpful advice this, I have had problems with peas and beans this year, probably too much water as suggested above. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

xx
I aint doing that again... peas in guttering..

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2007, 10:02
by Annie
thumbup
Aint life grand?

Started by lottielearner on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 09:01
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Going on Holiday - "Worried" aint the word !!!!!

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 02:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Germination?

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2021, 20:59
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.724 seconds with 37 queries.