Too early for Tomato flowers?

• 14 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Too early for Tomato flowers?
« on: April 26, 2016, 19:07 »
Right-o, started my toms at the beginning of March, indoors under a maxi-bright T5 panel, grew them on to about 8- 12 inches then put them in my greenhouse at home, before planting out to the polytunnel bed last week when they were 12-18 inches.Ive just returned from the allotment (after a flying visit to check the fleece is holding up for the toms), whilst there i noticed two had flower buds at the top, anyone had this, this early?.As said earlier this was only a flying visit so didnt really think to check the labels, but ive got several vars, Costaluto Genovese,Berkely tye dye,Gold medal,Black krim,Marmande,San marzano and Brandy wine.
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Too early for Tomato flowers?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 19:30 »
In a normal (warmer) Spring I would be expecting to plant up my greenhouse right now, and the toms would have flowers on them.

With a bit of luck you may get some early tomatoes, but cold could still check them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  :)

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 20:04 »
In a normal (warmer) Spring I would be expecting to plant up my greenhouse right now, and the toms would have flowers on them.

With a bit of luck you may get some early tomatoes, but cold could still check them. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you  :)
Thanks mumofstig... ive got everything crossed at the mo.This is only my second season at the allotment but when ive grown toms at home they`ve always been started the same way(early under the T5) and they`ve never come on this fast, so the caught me a little off guard cos space is at a premium in my small GH at home.The only difference this year was the 15 quid a bag compo they seemed to love it!

mctoon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 21:47 »
Here in lovely Northumberland, (-1C tonight), i have tomatoes on my plants, they are sitting on the windowsill in the flat.  I always start my toms , peepers, chillis, off under my T5 lights to give them  a good start but its so cold at the moment i dart put them in my greenhouse.   Even in 4 inch pots i have toms but the poor things are itching to be re potted into the ground

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 21:52 »
I started off tomatoes from seed in late January in my conservatory at home, and transferred them to my unheated greenhouse at the lottie in the first week of April, snuggled under fleece, as I was going away for 10 days, and anxious about the cold.

Now I'm back I find they've all survived the cold, and lots are in flower under the fleece.

The forecast is for even colder for the next few nights here in Oxford, down to about 28 degrees F.....   so fingers crossed!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:37 »
Mine are all still on the windowsills at home, but I did spot the early signs of a few flowers on a couple of them. 

A quick check and its the Costoluto Fiorentino that are budding.  These 2 plants have grown faster than all the others from the get go.

Christine

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 19:44 »
With this weather and an unheated greenhouse I'm happy that I started out a bit late with the tomato seedlings - they will just have to catch up.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 20:12 »
Yes mine have flowers and small fruit too. I was give some tiny plants back in February and it has been difficult to keep them healthy and not all drawn. Like MoS said, they would have been out in the greenhouse at the plot if it wasn't for the pesky weather!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Robster

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:18 »
Yes same for me Urbanite.  My Giant Mamande in the greenhouse are very stout and leafy with the first truss buds quite evident.  Under fleece at the moment.  I think they'll be fine.  Super crop as long as I can open the door and let some insects in sometime.

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 09:29 »
i take it that everyone that has tomato's in greenhouses that are heated.

it hasn't got much above 3 degrees over night for the last week. i thought that tomato's don't like it under 5 degrees.

all my plants and seedlings are inside for protection.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06 »
All my plants are going out to the cold greenhouse during the day and come back into the house in the evening.

I wouldn't want to chance them overnight in this cold.

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 19:36 »
First day off work today, went upto the Garden to set the quadgrows up and check on the toms...there lookin Ok-ish, bit of leaf curl on the lower leaves of a couple of plants,nothing major,but tonight will be the test up at my endz...the forecast is not very good at all.On a plus note sowed 27 replacements in the vitopod a few days ago and the first couple are showing, they`ll be keeping the Nardello peppers company tucked away under the T5`s for now.

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:35 »
All my plants are going out to the cold greenhouse during the day and come back into the house in the evening.

i used to do this but, at the moment i have too much work on to spend time moving plants around.

i have found in the past that no matter how much you care for plants by bringing them in and out they still don't seem to like it much. last year i sowed and germinated in the tunnel and the plants were much healthier and stronger. i think this year i may be struggling for time to get a long crop.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:57 »

i used to do this but, at the moment i have too much work on to spend time moving plants around.
i have found in the past that no matter how much you care for plants by bringing them in and out they still don't seem to like it much.

It is a pain but it works for me, whereas sowing/growing directly in the cold greenhouse simply doesn't.
I suppose it all depends on your local weather conditions.

Robster

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 14:13 »
My greenhouse is a twin walled polycarbonate job.  It's unheated but reasonably sealed with a fair degree of thermal was material in it.  I've been really impressed that it seems to stay well above freezing even when it's frosty outside.  Fleecing the tomatoes in order to keep the heat in a bit more locally seems to work really well.

xx
Courgette early flowers; pinch off, or not?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2022, 00:37
by Rob the rake
xx
beefsteak tomato flowers

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:55
by digalotty
clip
Should these tomato flowers be removed?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 16:19
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Tomato flowers query?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 16:30
by violet61

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.