Killing Weeds in a Raspberry Bed

• 9 Replies

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Killing Weeds in a Raspberry Bed
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:01 »
Morning all.

I am continually removing the couch that pops up in my raspberry bed as sadly there is no weedkiller that is specific to couch (Dragon's Den idea here). Would it be a bad idea to apply a gel weedkiller that is dabbed onto the couch in the raspberry bed?

Thanks in advance.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Killing Weeds in a Raspberry Bed
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:06 »
I have been known to wrap the plants in polythene (so they can't be dabbed by mistake) and to apply glyphosate carefully to clumps of couch and bindweed that I've unwound from the canes. I've not managed to kill the raspberries yet!

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07 »
I use a glyphosate weed killer diluted as per instructions and apply it with a kiddies paint brush so that it does not affect other plants.

Like Mum say's.   :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:08 by Goneterseed »

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 08:38 »
Roundup gel will work well. Just be careful that the gel splodged couch leaves do not rub against raspberry leaves.

The best way to apply it is to wear a rubber glove, or polythene bag. Hold the leaves in the gloved hand and push the gel applicator against it. It just gives something to push against. It is probably a good idea to wear gloves for such jobs anyway

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:20 »
I had the same problem when I took over a plot a few years ago. but it was with asparagus. I covered the stems with cardboard tubes and then carefully sprayed using a small hand sprayer. I have never had any problem since.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Christine

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 16:49 »
If it's a really serious problem can you pot up runners and eventually move your raspberry patch to a cleared area with no serious weeds? Just a thought.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 05:32 »
This really is one of the worst problems associated with growing raspberries.

After a season of trying to clean the couch from a long established bed of Autumn rasps, we eventually just gave up, and bought some fresh stock for another two beds, which are now growing stems like the clappers compared with what we gave up! Last year's first crop was fabulous - especially the Joan J!

Just to prove that we had made the right decision, we decided to dig out the old rasp bed for something else! The soil was like reinforced concrete, with so much couch that it was strangling the rasps and the roots, and I had to use a pickaxe to even break open the surface! It took us two days just for 12' of old plants, which went straight onto the tip! The plants - and us two, were exhausted!

Even if the couch can be Roundupped - and we did try that on several occasions, the old dead roots still clog up the soil, and generally knot around and suffocate the rasps, however much they're mulched and fed!

It's a bit like changing banks, moving a bed of favoured plants, but sometimes it proves to be a better bet in the long run! The cost of fresh new plants can also be laid off against all that Roundup...

Headgardener22

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 14:50 »
Strange, I was just going to ask the same question. My summer raspberries are infested with couch grass. Sounds like the best thing is to invest in some new canes, plant them elsewhere and dig out the old ones.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 15:06 »
IMO It's lack of cultivation that allows the couch/bindweed roots to grow - starting a new bed just moves the problem elsewhere, as eventually the weeds will flourish there ::)

So I'm going to weedkill clumps of weeds this summer and then dig out as many weed roots as I can in the autumn/winter.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 19:03 »
The funny thing is that I wanted to get rid of some unwanted summer raspberry suckers that popped up after I thought I had cleared them all away. I used round up.

the leaves went a bit yellow, then the plants almost shook themselves, and then carried on growing.

You can bet if you got one little splash on them when you were trying to rid the bed of couch, they would up and die on you... that's the way life seems to go sometimes!!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
killing grass and weeds in vegie patch

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 16:14
by upthetump
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Killing Greenfly

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 21:34
by superpete
xx
Killing pests

Started by p-robin-g on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 18:34
by DavidT

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 38 queries.